Frequent Contributor

Re: QVC here is a list. of phrases we don't want to hear anymore.

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

"This is perfect to wear to the pumpkin patch"

"This would be great to wear apple picking"

That is so funny to me since I never have done either one.  Maybe I did not have the right outfit. 

I have done both. I'd  wear a hoodie, jeans, and Dr. Martin boots.

These phrases don't bother me, since apple picking and visiting the pumpkin patch are popular things to do in my area.  An old-timey cider mill and a pick-your-own apple orchard with a huge pumpkin patch are both in my town. They have fresh donuts and pies, produce (apples, of course) and a winery.  We stop in frequently.  Since I usually see people I know when I go there, I like to wear cute things, which I often buy from QVC.  The days I dash over there in something sloppy, I run into half the neighborhood.

I've been styling with my duster cardigan sweaters and riding boots this fall. 

Respected Contributor

I know what to wear apple/pumpkin picking. I think the lady that gives me a manicure/pedicure would prefer a bigger tip then a candle or bag of chocolates. My mailperson or my childs teacher would might like a gift card to starbux instead of a some lipsticks with gloss or nail polish when Im not sure what color she likes or wears, and why must we buy for everyone? Since when did it become customary to give gifts to the mailperson, UPS person, the person who cuts your hair, does your manis/pedis, walks your dog, picks up your mail, coaches, gardners, Uber drivers, bank tellers, the person who picks up your dry cleaning, etc, etc, etc. I would go broke beyond belief!

My manicurist gets a bigger tip and she greatly appreciates it. I give my therapist's a beautiful poinsettias and thats it. I do give my mail person a gift card because he is a really good guy and has gone out of his way to help me on occasion, I either give him a subway or starbux card.

So while the Q is hawking perfect presents, gifts for the cook, late nightmare gifts, gifts for the grandkids and gift, gift, gifts I shake my head and get a good laugh at their silly selling phrases.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Valued Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

I know what to wear apple/pumpkin picking. I think the lady that gives me a manicure/pedicure would prefer a bigger tip then a candle or bag of chocolates. My mailperson or my childs teacher would might like a gift card to starbux instead of a some lipsticks with gloss or nail polish when Im not sure what color she likes or wears, and why must we buy for everyone? Since when did it become customary to give gifts to the mailperson, UPS person, the person who cuts your hair, does your manis/pedis, walks your dog, picks up your mail, coaches, gardners, Uber drivers, bank tellers, the person who picks up your dry cleaning, etc, etc, etc. I would go broke beyond belief!

My manicurist gets a bigger tip and she greatly appreciates it. I give my therapist's a beautiful poinsettias and thats it. I do give my mail person a gift card because he is a really good guy and has gone out of his way to help me on occasion, I either give him a subway or starbux card.

So while the Q is hawking perfect presents, gifts for the cook, late nightmare gifts, gifts for the grandkids and gift, gift, gifts I shake my head and get a good laugh at their silly selling phrases.

I can barely afford to buy for my family much less all those listed.

I also don't recall any of the people I pay for different services ever buying me a gift.  Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

For the most part, I can laugh at many of the phrases. I would say the the busy mom and busy working mom has to go.
Esteemed Contributor

One sales ploy that really bugs me is the idea that all women are selfless, spending all their time caring for others....nothing but a band of martyrs. Well, not every woman lives like that. Some of those watching QVC spend entirely too much money on TV shopping. They may not be caring for others but rather spending their hard earned money on themselves. Of course, plenty of women put others before themselves, BUT that you-deserve-it sales tactic is rather obnoxious to me.