Honored Contributor

I don't care if the hosts get "first dibs" before a product airs.  But to ask the  stage folks to order for them, or to admit that they were able to order before the peons is just plain tacky.  Hosts:  Find another sales tactic please.  

Contributor

if you look at "new this week" or "new today", you will see some items that have not yet aired. So anyone, including hosts, can get an item before it has aired.  I believe the other comments that this could be a tactic to spur sales. 

Trusted Contributor

the first time i ever heard a host say they'd wait to buy the item before or after the show in order to allow the viewers the chance to buy it, i thought to myself, why? they're customers themselves too. and if i was a host, i'd like that chance afforded to me. it's a shopping channel. it's business. it's not personal. and if i as a customer lost out on the item, then i have only myself to blame. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think people are way too invested in what the hosts say. 

Me? I couldn't care less what they say. They are there for one reason, and one reason only, to sell, and if saying "Order this for me" increases sales, then so be it.

They wouldn't say it if it didn't work.

Regular Contributor

Hip hip hooray for your wonderful comment.  I think you are terrific for saying it!  Smiley HappyHeartHeart

Regular Contributor

Amen Miranda.  I guess it just depends on how much moxie a person has and how secure they are in their job.  I was always told to never believe that you are indispensable, because you are!  I must also state that it wasn't because I was going to order the product in question, I thought it was a matter of principle!  Hope I used the right spelling of principal(le). LOL

Regular Contributor

I totally agree, they have never had anything that I absolutely HAD to have or couldn't purchase in my area.  They have NOTHING that I cannot get in my area for nearly the same price.  A good example would be Dooney & Bourke handbags.  They never give the retail price on those and in doing due diligence and comparison shopping in my area, they can be purchased here for exactly what QVC sells them for.  And, the great thing about that is.....don't have to pay S&H in the extragavant amounts the "Q" charges, i.e. $11+.

Esteemed Contributor

Obviously, TPTB don't have a problem with the hosts saying "Order me one!", because if they did, I'm pretty sure that the hosts wouldn't say it, because nobody wants to be in trouble with the boss.

So, if their bosses are okay with it, then it's much ado about nothing, in my book.

Honored Contributor

Judging by how they look and act, how they dress and what they say, I'd say the hosts have little supervision and few if any, guidelines on how to conduct themselves.  They seem to do pretty much what they want.  I think pre-ordering was a definite no-no in the olden days.  Now it seems to be an accomplishment worthy of an emmy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

LOL

It doesn't matter if they say they have this or that or have ordered this or that or ask for the item to be set aside for them.

Just because it is said doesn't make it so. 

Sell, sell, sell.  It's a business and the tactic may bother some but it's not exclusive to the Q hosts.  It works for them and the bottom line is profit.

Nothing wrong with that.  The only tactic that would bother me is deceptive advertising about a product and the reviews would rein that in pronto.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh