Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 You're right, it sounds like it would be. But understand the markup is so high that even when a store discounts items by 75%, they are STILL making a profit. The markup on jewelry is....shocking.

In addition, the discount for most retailers is between 15% and 20%; most do not allow the discount on TOP of coupons/sales. So, if you see a store offering MORE than 20%, many of those in line/shopping ARE employees because it's a better sale than their discount and yes, the companies figure that in regarding their business.

Trust me, they're not losing money. If they have a POS inventory system, then it shows they're moving product and need more of it no matter who is buying it. Win-win for all.

Not to mention that companies WANT their employees to own the products their selling because it's been proven to improve sales. Companies/vendors often offer the products at a huge discount or free to the sales staff in order have them wear/use and then sell it (gratis in cosmetics, for example, plus gratis during training). It all helps out the company.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC Policy for Hosts

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I think it's a complete line of bull!

Think about it - they have to see EVERYTHING before they have to talk about it on air.

IF they loved it that much, they would order it even BEFORE they were on air.

It is a complete line of bull that is nothing but a sales tactic.

I chuckled the other night when Isaac said he liked the scarves he was selling and asked someone to order him one. Later, he jokingly said that they would have to check his bag when he left. Really? This is his stuff he's selling and he's asking someone to order him one and joking about taking one of the samples? It sounded ridiculous.

I don't believe it was ever true for hosts, no matter how much they want people to believe it. But for a small handful of vendors it might be possible.

Isaac is one of the vendors who lends his name to designs that QVC sells - the *style* on a drawing board. But he may actually have not seen the finished product until it's presented, in terms of fabric, fit, construction, etc. He saw his sketches, QVC produced the item as they chose as to all the rest. And if Isaac isn't thrilled with the final product he's not going to say so, either. Cut off nose to spite face.

So, although I still think it's just a sales ploy, it's his way of saying he's pleased with the finished product, which he may not have seen before.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC Policy for Hosts

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I think people are way too invested in what the hosts say. 

Me? I couldn't care less what they say. They are there for one reason, and one reason only, to sell, and if saying "Order this for me" increases sales, then so be it.

They wouldn't say it if it didn't work.

I agree.  Every single thing they say has one purpose: to sell.

When they say they've ordered, are going to order, gave something to everyone on their Christmas list, own it in every color, etc, I take all of that with a huge grain of salt. They're salespeople, and when they're on-air, they're doing their job, which is selling.  

They say whatever it takes to make a sale.  I tend not to believe most of it.

Honored Contributor

Different hosts tell different stories.

I have recently heard a host say that they are not allowed to order brand new items before they go on air.  Then I've heard hosts talk about ordering brand new items before they came on air.

I think all of the announcing they ordered something or are having it ordered for them during the show is a sales tactic.

Esteemed Contributor
When Chaz Dean is scheduled his Wen "specials" will appear in the QVC inventory BEFORE they air. Not all day, just a few minute before.
So yes, I believe any shopper, including QVC hosts, can order an item once it appears in the inventory.