Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Host Dan Wheeler’s Late Wife’s Service To Be Streamed

[ Edited ]

Personally, I love to read obituaries and I would watch online services.  Every life is special.  Ordinary people do extraordinary things.  I think every life teaches me something.  Funerals can be a good thing.  Of course it helps the bereaved, as it is meant to do .  It celebrates a life. I have attended funerals with friends (as support) for people I didn't know.  I always come away "knowing" them a bit  One time I went to a funeral where the church was filled, people were in the narthrex and outside in lines, listening to service by speaker and TV.  Over and over people said what a friend this person was, what a good listener they were.  How this person was always there with a word of comfort or encouragement. Makes you think how just one life effects so many.  How one person who is kind and loving can amass friends they didn't even know they had.

Dan has posted some heart wrenching feelings.  Makes me think.  I am just overwhelmed at the love he has for his wife....and his painful  dealing with the loss. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alsee wrote:

I don't mean any disrespect, but why would anyone want to see an online service for a total stranger?

To me, it's personal to be reserved for close friends and family.

Their have been many services live streamed lately.  I've never seen one.

Then there's the televised ones. 

The only ones I've ever watched were President Reagan's and Princess Diana's.

Now it seems commonplace, I'm sure it will be even more widespread. 

Valued Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Personally, I love to read obituaries and I would watch online services.  Every life is special.  Ordinary people do extraordinary things.  I think every life teaches me something.  Funerals can be a good thing.  Of course it helps the bereaved, as it is meant to do .  It celebrates a life. I have attended funerals with friends (as support) for people I didn't know.  I always come away "knowing" them a bit  One time I went to a funeral where the church was filled, people were in the narthrex and outside in lines, listening to service by speaker and TV.  Over and over people said what a friend this person was, what a good listener they were.  How this person was always there with a word of comfort or encouragement. Makes you think how just one life effects so many.  How one person who is kind and loving can amass friends they didn't even know they had.

Dan has posted some heart wrenching feelings.  Makes me think.  I am just overwhelmed at the love he has for his wife....and his painful  dealing with the loss. 

@shoekitty, Wonderful post.  At my Mother's viewing In-Home Supportive Services workers came to show their respect to her and to greet the family, me and my brothers.  I had never met them.  I mentioned the time and location of the funeral the next day.  They said they couldn't afford to miss work so that is why they came to the viewing.  I was from a small town in Wyoming.  These ladies did In-Home Supportive Services for seniors in neighboring small towns.  They told me that they would do services the next town over, buy a McDonald's Big Mac for my Mom, drive 30 miles and bring her one.  The town my Mother lived in did not have a McDonald's at the time.

It seems maybe silly to some but I cherished them telling me this about my Mother and the relationship these ladies had with her.  These ladies didn't make an enormous salary and performed services for my Mother and came out at night to pay her respect and say good-bye.  That spoke volumes to me about them and, of course, my Mother.

Esteemed Contributor

I can see having services streamed on line. It would be a way for people who want to be there, but can't to still pay their respects. 

Or, say one wants to limit the people attending to a few close family and friends. Everyone else can watch the live feed on line.

I would think that would be less stress on the family.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would feel uncomfortable and intrusive watching  a stranger's funeral.  I am such a private person that I would not want such a public display.  It's difficult enough going to close friend's and family funerals and can't imagine wanting to experience a stranger's.  I guess everyone's different. 

Honored Contributor

@Alsee wrote:

I don't mean any disrespect, but why would anyone want to see an online service for a total stranger?

When Robert Wegman, founder of the supremarket chain, died - his funeral was carried on local cable TV and then was available on-demand. 

That was because even those who didn't know him personally wanted a way to honor him.

Dan's sad saga was similar, IMO...and totally appropriate based on his profession.

And BTW, I come from a family so private that many relatives had no service or even newspaper announcement whatsoever!

Whatever helps him get through the grieving process is great.

Trusted Contributor

I think that it is a nice approach.... I know that some people can't travel or afford to travel and this could allow them to honor a loved one or support the family.
Respected Contributor

@Alsee wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I get that it allows those friends & family members who can't attend to be able to see the service.  It never occured to me to watch someone's funeral service or wedding that I don't know.  I understand that people who are world figures like Princess Diana or Presidents would have coverage of these events.  Everyone gets to choose what they do and I don't see any problem with your post.

Trusted Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

@Alsee wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I get that it allows those friends & family members who can't attend to be able to see the service.  It never occured to me to watch someone's funeral service or wedding that I don't know.  I understand that people who are world figures like Princess Diana or Presidents would have coverage of these events.  Everyone gets to choose what they do and I don't see any problem with your post.

I would explain it here but I think it would go on deaf ears. Hard to believe your comments.

Esteemed Contributor

First of all,I respect Dan,s wishes, it,s his wife, but I also respect the comments made here, except the sarcastic ones.   EAch person has their own way of doing things.  

When someone I love so dearly is dying, my thoughts and time are with them, not on SOCIAL MEDIa, but then, I am between two worlds.  Old school and the top of my feet in the new world of technology.  That said, I will go to a memorial, but not view a funeral especially online of a stranger to me.  Nothing wrong with it, just way.

I do not criticize those that do, so those that don,t believe in it should not be criticized.

Mr. WHEELER loved his wife so much, he wanted to share her life with the world.  The other poster said, ,"no disrespect" in the post, so let it be without the rude comments.