Trusted Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

They are pee cans.  Pee cahns just sounds snooty.  

If that's your logic, then is it fair to say that 'peecans' sounds like a hick?

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

LOL  You got me there, @Mimi 1883!  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Pronunciation

[ Edited ]

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

LOL  You got me there, @Mimi 1883!  

LOL ;-)  Have a good day, Citrine!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Re: Pronunciation

[ Edited ]

Here's another pronounced both ways:

Fo-wood . . . or For-ward.  I use Forward.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

The word that gets me (and that I also mispronounce) is: long-lived (with a short i) as opposed to long-lived (with a long i).

Correct: We are long-lived (long i) in our family. (Sounds weird to me.)

but...

Long live (short i) the Queen!

Also, I always cringe when I hear the Brits pronounce "privacy." We say it with a long i. They say it with a short i. Who makes up these rules?  No doubt, the Brits did long ago, and we Americans "Americanized" the words.

I often look up words just for fun, and many of the dictionaries give several "correct" pronunciations. Of course, different parts of the country use different pronunciations also, so no doubt almost everything on this board is accurate!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Years ago, I heard somewhere that those in the Television medium Profession were encouraged to speak with a "Mid-American'  Accent.   Location wise, not income wise.  Apparently where ever that location is it is the least noticable "Local Accent."   

@candys mine

IMO, Californians (excluding "valley girl" speech) use the least noticeable local pronunciations.  I think they speak "American English" the best.

(And I'm Jersey Girl who has tried very hard to improve my formerly very recognizable accent . . . and have pretty much succeeded.)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I'm live in southern CA, and I pronounce the words:

ee-ther

en-velope

markee

p-kahn

coo-min  

Respected Contributor

We always said pea'cahns in Up North, Wisconsin. When I lived in Mississippi for a couple years, they told me it was properly pronounced "pa-cahns'.) My Grandfather came from Tennessee, and he said where he grew up, it was pea-canns'. (Best I can do as a "grammarian".)

Anyway, if you want to see a cute short video on why all these words are pronounced differently in various areas of the U.S., see this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex-A2nkWOtA

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli