Respected Contributor

Years ago, I heard somewhere that those in the Television medium Profession were encouraged to speak with a "Mid-American'  Accent.   Location wise, not income wise.  Apparently where ever that location is it is the least noticable "Local Accent."   

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@LilacTree ee-ther.  Isn't  i-ther British??

How about "envelope"?

Some say en-velope, some say on-velope and some say an-velope.??

@Cakers3

I also say "ee-ther" with the long "e." 

It came up because I've been watching election coverage on CNN and they all use the long "i" and I started to think I've been pronouncing it wrong all of my life!!

@LilacTree Ha,  Probably think they sound more sophisticated. Personally, although I believe it is the British pronounciation,  it sounds kind of pompous to me to use it in the USA.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Other than the song I've also never heard anybody say "toe-MAH-toe" either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

The only person I have heard pronounce things really strangely is Martha Stewart, but I think she does it on purpose!

Very stilted and  affected!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

MY neighbor does, but she is Irish by birth, and came here in her teens

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Julia Child. Grew up watching her and also as an adult.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

The only person I have heard pronounce things really strangely is Martha Stewart, but I think she does it on purpose!

Very stilted and  affected!

And she says herbs, pronouncing the h.  I've always thought the h was silent in "herbs".

Regular Contributor

It is so refreshing to see someone else pronounce pecan correctly.  I think that the pronounciation of "pee can" is more of a bastardized way of saying it.  I was born in Chicago and have lived in Dallas for over 50 yrs. and no one here pronounces it "pee can".  And, while I love Texas and don't wish to offend any natives, if you want something screwed up in pronounciation, it would come from Texas.  I never heard anyone pronounce "wash" Warsh, but have heard it like that here for years.  Not sure how that evolved, but it does exist!  Funny how things get misconstrued in translation and pronounciations, but find it interesting.  Maybe it comes from different dialects.  I never stop learning!!!  LOL

@candys mine wrote:

Either I say both ways.

To-MAY-toe

Po-TAY-toe

Al-OO-min-um.  

Pecans

Do you say P-CANS or  P-KAHNS?  I am in the P-KAHN camp.

Nuclear

Do you say New-KLEE-er  OR  New-Q-ler   I say New-KLEE-er.  I can't even see how you get New-Q-ler out ot those letters but I've heard it said that way.

NorthEast dweller.

Trusted Contributor

@Texussgal wrote:

It is so refreshing to see someone else pronounce pecan correctly.  I think that the pronounciation of "pee can" is more of a bastardized way of saying it.  I was born in Chicago and have lived in Dallas for over 50 yrs. and no one here pronounces it "pee can".  And, while I love Texas and don't wish to offend any natives, if you want something screwed up in pronounciation, it would come from Texas.  I never heard anyone pronounce "wash" Warsh, but have heard it like that here for years.  Not sure how that evolved, but it does exist!  Funny how things get misconstrued in translation and pronounciations, but find it interesting.  Maybe it comes from different dialects.  I never stop learning!!!  LOL

@candys mine wrote:

Either I say both ways.

To-MAY-toe

Po-TAY-toe

Al-OO-min-um.  

Pecans

Do you say P-CANS or  P-KAHNS?  I am in the P-KAHN camp.

Nuclear

Do you say New-KLEE-er  OR  New-Q-ler   I say New-KLEE-er.  I can't even see how you get New-Q-ler out ot those letters but I've heard it said that way.

NorthEast dweller.

I've heard Chip Gaines, a native Texan, from "Fixer Upper" call them numerous times pa-cahns. Don't know about the wash/warsh though. Ina Gartner calls them pea-cahns.  

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

They are pee cans.  Pee cahns just sounds snooty.