Esteemed Contributor

octors in Magura, Bangladesh recently received the shock of their lives when they delivered a baby boy unlike any newborn they’d seen before.

With a tiny shrunken body and excessive wrinkles, the baby was born with a condition that makes him look like an 80-year-old man! Now, his story is going viral and bringing more awareness to the life-threatening condition.

Though doctors aren’t 100% certain as to what caused him to look so old, they believe it’s the result of progeria, a rare condition that affects just one in four million people.

Progeria is a genetic disorder in which aging-like symptoms manifest at an early age, and in this little boy’s case, right from birth. Those born with progeria typically have a shorter life span and live to their mid-teens to early twenties.

People from the community are now flocking to his home to catch a glimpse of his unique face and body — but wait until you see what the baby’s parents have to say about the latest addition to their family.

http://www.littlethings.com/baby-looks-eighty/?utm_source=godv&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=baby

Respected Contributor

What a precious baby--he is fortunate to have a mother who wants him--he is a gift, not a mistake.  Blessing to this family!

Respected Contributor

Re: Progeria baby born

[ Edited ]

@seaBreeze wrote:

What a precious baby--he is fortunate to have a mother who wants him--he is a gift, not a mistake.  Blessing to this family!

I hope the community doesn't shun him or his family! Ignorant people can be so cruel!

I wonder why no mainstream news outlets have reported it? Might it be a hoax? The "baby" appears to look more like a baby gorrilla or such! I hate to be a skeptic, and I am not trying to be cruel, it just seems odd to me none of the big, American news outlets have reported on it!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

The Book "When Bad Things Happen To Good People" was written by a rabbi whose son was born with Progeria.

Honored Contributor

@violann, What a wonderful man he was ,and his book was a comfort to many

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

The Book "When Bad Things Happen To Good People" was written by a rabbi whose son was born with Progeria.

I was unaware of that fact! I know the book has been widely recommended and has given comfort to many people!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I've seen TV programs about people with this condition, probably TLC.  It's rare but not unheard-of, with a community of victims who get together.  It was never said what they looked like at birth but I think they were rather normal and the disease was not discovered until they were a year or two old.  They were more prone to be bald rather than hairy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What wonderful parents! 

Children with progeria never used to live very long, I wonder if research has found ways to help them.

Respected Contributor
The people are flocking to see this baby, really rubs me the wrong way. The child is not a circus act and will suffer the painful ailments that old age brings.
Honored Contributor

The National Institute of Health says there is some proactive treatment:

"Some children with progeria undergo coronary artery bypass surgery and/or angioplasty in attempts to ease the life-threatening cardiovascular complications caused by progressive atherosclerosis."

There is a progeria research foundation and it seems there are two drugs they're trying out now, but I didn't see details.

A poster here was right, they are usually born pretty normal looking.