Valued Contributor

Re: Prince tributes - my question is...

I totally understand the op's question. Both were true geniuses. I guess you simply cannot compare the legacies they left. May both rest in peace.

Respected Contributor

Michael Jackson was a far bigger star than Prince.  There is no comparison in terms of the effect on the popular culture and possibly on the record sales.  I've heard a lot of Michael Jackson's songs, but I don't know a single one of Prince's songs.  Was he on the pop charts?  I'm not minimizing his legacy, as clearly he had a strong following.  I just don't think it was comparable to that of Michael Jackson.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SoX wrote:

I get where you're coming from, KLWT ... and again, why the comparison to Bowie is beyond me ... why a simple tribute  brings out such comments begs the question.   Bowie is probably shaking his head.  

Agree.  Some of the comments seem to just want to diminish Prince.

Seems rather petty.

Yeah - all of this.    I'll never understand why everything has to be an 'us vs them' mentality with every-freaking-thing for some.

It's that darn Baby Boomer entitlement thing again. 

I want MY favorite people to have more attention than YOUR favorite people.   Cat Tongue

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SoX wrote:

I get where you're coming from, KLWT ... and again, why the comparison to Bowie is beyond me ... why a simple tribute  brings out such comments begs the question.   Bowie is probably shaking his head.  

Seems rather petty.

Yeah - all of this.    I'll never understand why everything has to be an 'us vs them' mentality with every-freaking-thing for some.

I want MY favorite people to have more attention than YOUR favorite people.   Cat Tongue

___

Weren't both Michael Jackson and Prince Boomers?  They were almost exactly the same age if not the same age.  I just don't think there's any comparison in terms of effect on music, the popular culture, and raw talent.  Michael Jackson was head and shoulders above Prince, as talented as he might have been.  Michael Jackson was an entertainer for the ages.

Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SoX wrote:

Seems rather petty.

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SoX wrote:

Seems rather petty.

So it seems.  I'm almost positive none of the above mentioned stars were in competition for these particular tributes.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SoX wrote:

Seems rather petty.

___

Weren't both Michael Jackson and Prince Boomers?  They were almost exactly the same age if not the same age.  I just don't think there's any comparison in terms of effect on music, the popular culture, and raw talent.  Michael Jackson was head and shoulders above Prince, as talented as he might have been.  Michael Jackson was an entertainer for the ages.

The point wasn't about the entertainers being Baby Boomers. 

I agree MJ had raw talent. So did Prince. So did Bowie. I wouldn't even try to place one "above" the other.  Their styles were completely different and therefore had different appeal for different people.

I don't see why there has to be an argument about "who was better" anyway. I think it demeans the memories of all of them.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SoX wrote:

Seems rather petty.

___

I agree MJ had raw talent. So did Prince. So did Bowie. I wouldn't even try to place one "above" the other.  Their styles were completely different and therefore had different appeal for different people.

I don't see why there has to be an argument about "who was better" anyway. I think it demeans the memories of all of them.

There's no question that Michael Jackson had a far bigger impact on popular culture than Prince.  No one is trying to "demean" anyone.  Both have value.  Still, Michael Jackson was a far bigger star than Prince.

Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I don't believe that the Prince tributes are in any greater volume than the Bowie ones. I seem to remember there were tons of Bowie tributes. Of course he was covered more in the UK because he was one of their own. The only difference is that Bowie had been ill with cancer for quite some time and was expected to lose that battle eventually. The Prince death came out of the blue and shocked everyone. 

No one knew Bowie was ill. 

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SoX wrote:

Seems rather petty.

___

There's no question that Michael Jackson had a far bigger impact on popular culture than Prince.  No one is trying to "demean" anyone.  Both have value.  Still, Michael Jackson was a far bigger star than Prince.

Someone on MSNBC said it well last night. MJ was "safe" and establishment (in the early years). Prince was edgy and dangerous.  There can be no doubt Prince was a self-taught musical genius and he had a massive effect on pop culture.  I adored both of them for their (very different) talents.

We'll just have to disagree on who was "better". It's comparing apples and oranges.

I will continue to say that comparing them and arguing about who was "better" is disrespectful and somewhat goulish.

~Enough is enough~