Contributor

No, no, no!  YOU didn't offend me at all!  It's the media frenzy that mystifies me.  I'm amazed that so many people care whatsoever about Prince.  

Trusted Contributor

@september wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

He may not have had a will as such but there are other ways to transfer wealth after death.

Or it simply may not have mattered to him.  I can see that.

We don't have a will...we have a family trust.  Almost everyone I know has gone this route, rather than using the traditional will.  

It's best to talk to a professional/lawyer to see what's best to do. Not everyone needs to have a Trust put in place. It all depends on their circumstances. For some a Will might be sufficient for their needs. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

LOTS of celebrities died without wills, just like many "regular" people do.  

My guess is that some wealthy people procrastinate. Their attorney says you need to draw up a will and the person says I need to think about it, and that's where it's  left.  JMO

Esteemed Contributor

I read that Prince's management team talked to him about a Will many times and he refused. A few years ago, the father of a female that I know died unexpectedly. He was in his 70s and was a real estate broker. He owned a few properties, including an apartment building. He was divorced with 2 grown daughters who were married. He didn't have a Will. His daughters paid many thousands of dollars in Probate to lawyers - and it took about a year to settle his Will --- how DUMB was he? Previously, he had a heart attack -- guess a Will wasn't on his mind.

Respected Contributor

Or maybe he didn't want to. He has a sister and half siblings. Who knows what the family dynamics were. If he was made aware of the law, maybe that's how he wanted it divided but didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. A bit of a stretch, but who knows??

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

He was a very strange guy --- guess he wanted people to fight over his money!!!!!

I agree.   People who have this type of money who don't have a will want others to fight over it.  It may give them pleasure.  Prince was unique, a maveric and possibly couldn't care less. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

There might still be a will, but so far they don't know about one. He was known to have lawyers all over the place, all doing different things. They will have to do some kind of search to make sure. He may not have told his sister everything, but at least she has taken legal action to protect what is there.

Respected Contributor

Re: Prince had no will?

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

@kivah wrote:

He was a very strange guy --- guess he wanted people to fight over his money!!!!!

I agree.   People who have this type of money who don't have a will want others to fight over it.  It may give them pleasure.  Prince was unique, a maveric and possibly couldn't care less. 

I don't think he wanted people to fight over the money because there is plenty to go around for all the heirs.  All will be taken care of for the rest of their life and then there's future sales as well as selling off all the homes he probably owned not only in the U.S. but maybe in other countries too. 

Respected Contributor

What I do think is pretty sad is that apparently there was no one special in his life that he felt deserved a monetary gift for their loyal service and/or friendship.  Gifting a few of his closest confidants or helpers of $100,000 would have been no skin off his nose.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm just guessing here, but maybe he felt that he was "too young" for a will, or that he was healthy, and therefore didn't need one.

I don't know. 

As I said, I'm just guessing.