Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like he wasn't expecting to die anytime soon! I, too, found it amazing that he didn't have a will. I would have thought that some of the attorneys that he undoubtedly worked with would have pushed him to take care of this. I don't have a will and I am now inspired to do this!

Honored Contributor

Even though Prince had health issues maybe he just hadn't faced the fact that he could die.  Some people just will not deal with the death details.  It sure would save a lot of problems if we all have a plan in place.  We just updated ours a couple of years ago.

Honored Contributor

Don't business managers assist with making sure all the I's are dotted and the T's crossed when managing someone's affairs?

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

He may not have had a will as such but there are other ways to transfer wealth after death.

Or it simply may not have mattered to him.  I can see that.

We don't have a will...we have a family trust.  Almost everyone I know has gone this route, rather than using the traditional will.  

Honored Contributor

Only time will tell for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least that he made no plans for the distribution of his estate, whether with a will or trust.

He was proud of being different, and it wouldn't be outside the realm that he didn't care what happened to his stuff after he died. 

If not, wonder what will happen with all that unreleased music it is rumored is there. That alone should be worth a ton.

Contributor

Call me crazy, but I can't figure out why we should care!?!?  Really?

Honored Contributor

@Nancy in Michigan wrote:

Call me crazy, but I can't figure out why we should care!?!?  Really?

Sorry

Didn't mean to offend you.

Thank you

Trusted Contributor

I find it incredible that a 57 year old with such a huge estate value would not have at least a will.  When we got married and bought a home, we made a will.

As we got older and owned more, our financial advisor told us to get a Living Trust.  This was many years ago; we were far younger than 57 and of course

in no way in the one percent.  If he didn't at least have a will, I am incredulous.

His estate will probably be worth double postumously considering he had so much more music to unveil.

Honored Contributor

He isn't us,he is and was PRINCE!  

Esteemed Contributor

I read that too. I cant believe that he did not have a will being he has so many assets and the way he fought (and won) to get ownership of his music!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles