Trusted Contributor

Re: Prices getting higher all over

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

There has been a bird flu which has effected chickens and turkeys, and has led to a high rise in the cost of chicken, turkey and eggs.  Eggs of course are used in a lot of meals.  Also there has been droughts in California which supposedly led to a reduction in crops such as broccoli and almonds.  I read (I don't know if it's true) that there have been problems with citrus trees.

Also, the "strong" dollar, requires the companies importing food or ingredients to make products to pay more.  I remember hearing on the financial channel that China had devalued their currency to give themselves a trade advantage.  As far as I'm aware the US hasn't done anything like that. 

I am not sure about the almonds MarielG.  I live in Almond central and the trees are full and are being harvested as we speak.  The baby trees have been planted or are being planted in freshly dug fields.  Perhaps next season if the water runs out.

As for our currency, the FED has implemented QE1-2-3 flooding the markets with worthless digital currency.  This has done incalcualble damage to the dollar.

Hi Esmerelda, you would know better than I about the almonds, I'm no where near California!  

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

Prices will always keep going up.   Rule of life.

Esteemed Contributor

The company was primarily health and wellness consumer goods, not a grocery store, but since being bought out by a grocery chain they are priced very much like one vs the old position as a discounter. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Our local food banks have struggled all summer, and have resorted to showing their bare shelves on TV in an effort to bring in donations.  With every trip to the grocery store, I see higher prices, and know exactly why people are seeking more help from our food banks, and keeping them depleted.  I walk into the store with my list, and walk out pushing everything I went in for, and then some.   I feel very blessed to be able to afford to feed my family the same foods we are used to eating, without sacrifices.  My husband and I made a quick stop at the grocery store last Thursday, the 1st day of the month.  I usually do everything possible to avoid shopping at the first of the month, but  special circumstances put me there, and I left feeling as if I'd learned a few things.  The store was very busy, and there were many older shoppers, as well as disabled shoppers using wheelchairs and scooters.  In almost every aisle, I witnessed shoppers picking up products and putting them back because of the price, choosing the store brand, or walking away without buying at all.  It took me nearly 10 minutes to get to the beef section of the meat counter, as an older couple were there looking at prices.  After picking up several packages of meat and putting them back, the woman walked away with their cart and left the man to decide.  He scrutinized the price on every pack of meat on the 3 shelves in front of him, but walked away with none.   My husband and I couldn't help but look to see what was in their cart, and they had the same type of foods I buy; eggs, bacon, cheese, milk, cereal, crackers, cornmeal, flour, oil, coffee, tea, dried beans, canned salmon, kraut, wieners, a small ham, heads of cabbage, cookies and bread were just some of what we saw.   But apparently, beef was not in their budget for this month.   I know people are struggling and having to make choices, but witnessing it first hand several times in one stop at the store, left me a bit stunned.  

@

For what it's worth - I try and donate annually to a local animal rescue and church food bank.  I can get a lot more using amazon prime/prime pantry.  U have to know your prices though.  Perhaps your food bank could get donations to join prime and purchase many goods cheaper, i.e. chefboyadee 83/can while grocery store price is 1.25 unless on sale for 99.  Also buying in bulk is cheaper. Just a thought,,, 

Honored Contributor

Not to take this off in another direction, but I noticed a lot of people on here try to donate one way or another.

Last week I got an annual email from my Ralphs grocery store (Kroger chain) asking me to update my community preferences.    (A lot of chains donate to local charities & schools based on a percentage of sales).

I selected "my" charity as A Cat's Tale ...... a local no-kill cat shelter in Redondo Beach , CA ..... and am glad to be able to select the charity I want.    

Maybe your grocery chains do the same?

Honored Contributor

I saw a crawler today on GMA that both UPS and Fedex have increased their surcharges so their shipping prices have gone up.  I'm sure that will be passed along to us all the way around as well.

Honored Contributor

In my local area, both the Kroger and the independently owned grocery store I shop at most often, offer a pre-made bag of food to our local food banks for a $5 donation----but only do this once a year before Thanksgiving.   The bag contains boxed and canned items, like pasta, stuffing, au gratin potatoes, as well as canned vegetables.  The response is always HUGE, with hundreds of bags going to each of our food banks.  I have spoken with the store manager about the possibility of doing this more often throughout the year, which he said has been suggested by several others, and is being considered.   My husband and I have made 2 significant monetary donations to the Salvation Army's food bank already this year, but they are simply unable to keep up with the numerous requests for food assistance.  I find it very sad to know people go hungry in this day and time.   

Respected Contributor

When in life did prices ever get lower....?    

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

When in life did prices ever get lower....?    

LOL .... I was thinking the same thing !!

Actually, our GASOLINE prices have dropped ... temporarily.   Here in CA, we're always higher than the rest of the country, but I just paid $2.87 for gas which is VERY low for us.