Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prices getting higher all over

Well, it seems the company was sold last year so that could explain the big change in pricing.

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Well, it seems the company was sold last year so that could explain the big change in pricing.

@Snoopp can you say which company? You got me interested.

Esteemed Contributor

vitacost

Respected Contributor

Oh .. never heard of them. Thank you for  the answer. Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

I used to shop at Vitacost for food items, and the specials were great, but yes, the prices soared.  I haven't been back since.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've noticed food inflation here in CA but it may just be CA .  Prices in GA were much cheaper in the same brand stores.

Honored Contributor

I food shop every 2 weeks and have noticed that in just that short time, prices going up. for years I shopped at a Super Walmart for basic and many bulk items. They also carry an excellent supply of fresh fruits and vegis and thought "Wow, so much better than my local Giant Food!!" I would get meant at Giant and that would be it. Don't know what happened, but within a few months, I was paying more and more for less and less of Walmarts stuff and now, it's no cheaper than Giant. By chance, I popped into a Food Lion near my home and the prices were fantastic!!! Now I RARELY go to Walmart, go to Giant for Rx only and buy everything else at Food Lion. Looking at my statements, I've saved roughly 40% by doing so.

Clothing is a huge thing; far more money for cheap cheap junk. That really ticks me off especially when it comes to buying shoes for my kids, jeans and winter clothing. I wouldn't mind paying the $$$ if they were well made but it's all JUNK with $$$ price tags! Ugh.

Esteemed Contributor

I noticed milk jumped way up - last time I bought it was do I want the one for 4.99 or 4.49!  Bacon skyrocketed, but they do have "specials".  Everything's riiculous.  In-store turkey breast at the deli was on sale for $13+/lb and last wk just stocked up on sole/scrod - it was on sale for 5/lb, down from 8.  And, this week got my fios bill and it was up 13.25!!!!, so I called and the guy said he'd, give me 4.99 off starting next mo. for 12mos., but that's still an 8.26 jump each mo!  and, forget elec rates!!!  I'm just thankful I've got solar to offset those bills.Woman Frustrated

It's a shame we cannot offset the higher cost of living by reducing the politicians salaries, retirement perks and many other comps:  prices would drop pretty dam fast!!!!!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I've also noticed that most grocery items have increased considerably in cost-- or else they continue to shrink in size. It's blamed in part on higher fuel costs to transport the items to the market. But when the price of gasoline went down several months ago, l didn't see that passed on to the consumer in LOWER food prices!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

We notice as we snowbird every year between Pa and Fl that the prices of food in SW Pa are much lower than in SW Fl. but the prices to eat out at a local diner are much lower in Florida than Pa. So when we are in Pa we eat at home most of the time and take a picnic lunch if we go on a day trip. When in Fl. we tend to eat lunch out more often, and just have a soup or sandwich for dinner.So when we are in fl. and much more active we tend to eat our big meal midday and our lighter meal in the evening, which is supposed rto be better for you.