Honored Contributor

Re: Prices getting higher all over

Our local food banks have struggled all summer, and have resorted to showing their bare shelves on TV in an effort to bring in donations.  With every trip to the grocery store, I see higher prices, and know exactly why people are seeking more help from our food banks, and keeping them depleted.  I walk into the store with my list, and walk out pushing everything I went in for, and then some.   I feel very blessed to be able to afford to feed my family the same foods we are used to eating, without sacrifices.  My husband and I made a quick stop at the grocery store last Thursday, the 1st day of the month.  I usually do everything possible to avoid shopping at the first of the month, but  special circumstances put me there, and I left feeling as if I'd learned a few things.  The store was very busy, and there were many older shoppers, as well as disabled shoppers using wheelchairs and scooters.  In almost every aisle, I witnessed shoppers picking up products and putting them back because of the price, choosing the store brand, or walking away without buying at all.  It took me nearly 10 minutes to get to the beef section of the meat counter, as an older couple were there looking at prices.  After picking up several packages of meat and putting them back, the woman walked away with their cart and left the man to decide.  He scrutinized the price on every pack of meat on the 3 shelves in front of him, but walked away with none.   My husband and I couldn't help but look to see what was in their cart, and they had the same type of foods I buy; eggs, bacon, cheese, milk, cereal, crackers, cornmeal, flour, oil, coffee, tea, dried beans, canned salmon, kraut, wieners, a small ham, heads of cabbage, cookies and bread were just some of what we saw.   But apparently, beef was not in their budget for this month.   I know people are struggling and having to make choices, but witnessing it first hand several times in one stop at the store, left me a bit stunned.  

Trusted Contributor

There has been a bird flu which has effected chickens and turkeys, and has led to a high rise in the cost of chicken, turkey and eggs.  Eggs of course are used in a lot of meals.  Also there has been droughts in California which supposedly led to a reduction in crops such as broccoli and almonds.  I read (I don't know if it's true) that there have been problems with citrus trees.

Also, the "strong" dollar, requires the companies importing food or ingredients to make products to pay more.  I remember hearing on the financial channel that China had devalued their currency to give themselves a trade advantage.  As far as I'm aware the US hasn't done anything like that. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

So, I did some shopping at an online retailer that I haven't shopped from in about 8 months or more.  I was shocked to see so many expensive items and high prices.  This retailer was known as one that had discounted items and good prices in the past.  Has anyone else noticed this trend cause I was really surprised. 

Not being a smart aleck when I say this, but it's not a "trend" ..... it's a fact of life.    Like death and taxes, you can count on prices going up.

Grocery items have jumped significantly in the past few weeks, especially dairy.   My favorite tub of cottage cheese was $1.89 a couple weeks ago, and today it was $2.99!

Part of the problem is the drought here in CA .... not only is there less fruits and vegetables for people, but the food grown to feed to cattle and chickens, etc. has jumped, too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarieIG wrote:

There has been a bird flu which has effected chickens and turkeys, and has led to a high rise in the cost of chicken, turkey and eggs.  Eggs of course are used in a lot of meals.  Also there has been droughts in California which supposedly led to a reduction in crops such as broccoli and almonds.  I read (I don't know if it's true) that there have been problems with citrus trees.

Also, the "strong" dollar, requires the companies importing food or ingredients to make products to pay more.  I remember hearing on the financial channel that China had devalued their currency to give themselves a trade advantage.  As far as I'm aware the US hasn't done anything like that. 

I am not sure about the almonds MarielG.  I live in Almond central and the trees are full and are being harvested as we speak.  The baby trees have been planted or are being planted in freshly dug fields.  Perhaps next season if the water runs out.

As for our currency, the FED has implemented QE1-2-3 flooding the markets with worthless digital currency.  This has done incalcualble damage to the dollar.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Prices of many things should be going down soon.

Last time this happened was in the early 80's.

All the major oil, gas, geothermo, fracking companies.   Along with all the companies working with them to help bring their products to the market are down sizing.

Thousands are layed off and/or given packages to leave the companies.  Some are asked to retire early and receive money for doing so.  Some are offered two years salary to leave the company.  

Every company across America is down sizing and some have gone out of business; selling off their equipment very cheap.   Some companies are merging trying to save their businesses.  

I can hear many say they are happy they are going out of business or being down graded.  Because they are all seen as the evil empire...yet everyone uses their product.

I guess Americans will just import even more oil, gas, and other products from other countries.  Again,  other countries win.   American lose; again.  

Honored Contributor

I have noticed prices climbing in our area and the increases are quite substantial. I've had to make changes in my budget and am purchasing less. Only what I need, not what I want has become a neccessity.

Honored Contributor

On top of that , they make the products smaller and charge more.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

On top of that , they make the products smaller and charge more.

Agreed. I notice that yogurt containers are now the size of baby food jars. And toilet paper rolls are getting so narrow, they'll soon look like rolls of adding machine paper.

l want to add that l don't see where salaries are also going up, to compensate for the escalating prices of consumer goods.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I noticed that prices are getting high too,I have much less to be generous with.I don't even have a cell phone.I don't know who is going to keep the food banks stocked and who is going to feed all of the people arriving here from other countries.I see some of them have started making signs and standing on the street corners asking for help.

Super Contributor

I knew prices were steadily increasing when shopping a major grocery store and picked up one pack of 12 frozen hamburgers at the lower original price of $9.99. To my surprise, I was shocked after closer observation there were only 8 frozen hamburgers in the pack. The price had increase rapidly within two years ranging from $9.99 topping at $13.99, 12 hamburgers minus four hamburgers at $9.99.