Esteemed Contributor

Prices getting higher all over

So, I did some shopping at an online retailer that I haven't shopped from in about 8 months or more.  I was shocked to see so many expensive items and high prices.  This retailer was known as one that had discounted items and good prices in the past.  Has anyone else noticed this trend cause I was really surprised. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prices getting higher all over

Been noticing the trend for several years now Snoop.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I've noticed everything has been creeping up.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm disappointed.  This had been one of my "go to" places where I could get good prices and I have shopped there for years.  Guess I will be shopping there less often now.  At least the B & M stores will be seeing me more often cause I think I can do better on price or at least the same without the shipping fee. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sadly, the quality is declining even with the price increase.  I'm tired of paying more for clothes that are poorly made and that have such thin, lightweight fabrics.  It's cold where I live and I Iike, thick, warm, bulky sweaters.  I don't care for layering every outfit.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Esteemed Contributor

No business is immune to rising costs.

Afterall, it cost them more to get the products.

Does anyone honestly expect them to just eat that cost?

No, of course they're not going to do that.

Business is all about making a profit, and that expense gets passed down to us, the consumer.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't expect a business to operate at a loss.  In this case what shocked me was the jump to very high pricing (especially since they are positioned as a bit of a discounter in the industry).  In some cases the pricing was way out of line.  That is why I noticed.  It's unfortunate though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy a lot less due to high cost and , honestly, I find I am getting along just as well on a lot less. My closet has room to spare and I really don't miss having it jam packed full.

We eat simpler meals and are just as happy eating hamburger or sausage as we were when we had steak. I used to buy a loaf of fresh bread and what was left after 2 days I tossed out because it wasn't fresh anymore (i buy bread without preservatives). Now I buy a loaf and put it in the freezer. Every morning DH gets out the bread for his toast and 4 slices for our lunch sandwiches. The loaves last us about a week. We used to eat pricey lunch meats - now we have dutch loaf or balogny and that is fine. in general we try hard to waste a lot less. I have found we were very wasteful, but with rising prices and being on a retirement income we have to try harder to conserve.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm also very careful about what I buy.  I will pay for better quality steaks but when you price hamburger too high I won't go near it. 

I really don't like the thin fabrics you find sometimes in clothing.  I won't buy any clothing like that; I think it's just awful stuff.

Respected Contributor

Yes I have noticed this, particulary this season, although i have seen prices rising pretty much since i was a child too. Woman Tongue