Trusted Contributor

Re: Price for re-sizing rings?

@cgil wrote:

My jeweler doesn't charge to size down.  They simply keep the portion of precious metal they remove as their "fee".

In the area that I live in (30 minutes from Barrington,IL) jewelers most certainly DO charge to downsize a ring. I have several rings that were my mother's that I need to have made 2 sizes smaller. I went to 3 jewelry stores to get an estimate on sizing. Of the 3, 2 of them would charge me $99 per ring, with the work being done on site, while the 3rd one would charge me $25 & send the ring out for repairs. (um, no thanks,I'd like the stones that were in the ring when I purchased it to STAY in the ring.)

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@cgil wrote:

My jeweler doesn't charge to size down.  They simply keep the portion of precious metal they remove as their "fee".

In the area that I live in (30 minutes from Barrington,IL) jewelers most certainly DO charge to downsize a ring. I have several rings that were my mother's that I need to have made 2 sizes smaller. I went to 3 jewelry stores to get an estimate on sizing. Of the 3, 2 of them would charge me $99 per ring, with the work being done on site, while the 3rd one would charge me $25 & send the ring out for repairs. (um, no thanks,I'd like the stones that were in the ring when I purchased it to STAY in the ring.)

When I had my mothers engagement ring sized down for me, they actually had to cut the ring in half so as not to damage the setting.  I was going down to many sizes for them to do a normal re-size.  I made them pop the diamond out, give it to me and had it put back in when I went to pick it up. 

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Does anyone know the approximate price to size a 14K ring? I want to get one of my sapphire rings re-sized for my oldest granddaughter. I will be having it "down" sized. TIA!

Jewelers do charge to size down, I would call around, the thickness of the shank may also come into play....

Esteemed Contributor

I sized up two gold rings last month, and there was no charge.

Respected Contributor

If you patronize a local jeweler, they may not charge anything.  If they do charge, it is definitely cheaper to size down.  Most jewelers will not go down more than a size or 2.  Also, be sure the stones are tightened  after the ring is sized.

Honored Contributor

I was always charged for sizing down, but it was always less than sizing up for obvious reasons.

Maybe it depends on the metal or some other element.  My jewelry was always gold so I don't know what they charge for lesser metals.

Make sure you know if it is a good idea to size down a given item.  Sometimes it will ruin it.  The more you know, going in, the better especially if you end up talking to some clerk who might know as much as they should.

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Does anyone know the approximate price to size a 14K ring? I want to get one of my sapphire rings re-sized for my oldest granddaughter. I will be having it "down" sized. TIA!

Next time you're in the mall, ask a jeweler how much it would cost.    I find when you're standing in front of them with the ring in hand, they rarely turn down business.

The last time I had a ring sized, it was sterling silver and they charged me ten bucks. 

Super Contributor

I have always been charged to size a ring (14k gold) and sizing down is/was cheaper than sizing up.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies. I dont have a local jeweler. I do have some jewelry given to me as gifts from Kay Jewelers. Its all on extended warranty so if something broke or needed cleaning they did/do that for free.

The ring I am speaking of, my 1st husband bought me and he is of course my grandchildrens grandfather. I gave one sapphire ring he had given me, to my daughter (it fits her perfect). But the one I am giving my teen granddaughter has to be sized down.

I will check with Kay since I went there before, and see what they say.

Lastly I was going to leave all my jewelry to them when I am gone. But recently I decided why wait and chose to give some now.

My only concern is if we size down to now, what if my granddaughter needs it sized up when shes older. She says she wont, she will always have thin fingers. (lol) She is almost 18, so its not like shes a really young teen.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

If it is only

@Shorty2U wrote:

Thank you for the replies. I dont have a local jeweler. I do have some jewelry given to me as gifts from Kay Jewelers. Its all on extended warranty so if something broke or needed cleaning they did/do that for free.

The ring I am speaking of, my 1st husband bought me and he is of course my grandchildrens grandfather. I gave one sapphire ring he had given me, to my daughter (it fits her perfect). But the one I am giving my teen granddaughter has to be sized down.

I will check with Kay since I went there before, and see what they say.

Lastly I was going to leave all my jewelry to them when I am gone. But recently I decided why wait and chose to give some now.

My only concern is if we size down to now, what if my granddaughter needs it sized up when shes older. She says she wont, she will always have thin fingers. (lol) She is almost 18, so its not like shes a really young teen.

If it is only a size or so that she needs it sized down to, you can have the jeweler put on a little metal piece that they will adjust to make the ring fit perfectly.  My jeweler does this for $10.  It was a godsend during pregnancies!  You can then allow your granddaughter to have the ring professionally sized when she is a little older and she can do that on her own.  Just a thought.