Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know the approximate price to size a 14K ring? I want to get one of my sapphire rings re-sized for my oldest granddaughter. I will be having it "down" sized. TIA!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

Re: Price for re-sizing rings?

My jeweler doesn't charge to size down.  They simply keep the portion of precious metal they remove as their "fee".

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

jewelrs dont charge any fees for size down.

Honored Contributor

I agree with previous responses.  Sizing down should be free of charge (or very minimal), since gold is being removed.

If you want to size up a half size...I can help with this.  Paid $35 for a gold ring a few months ago.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U wrote:

Does anyone know the approximate price to size a 14K ring? I want to get one of my sapphire rings re-sized for my oldest granddaughter. I will be having it "down" sized. TIA!

Did you buy it from Qvc?  Resin is not a precious metal.  I would tell them what it contains before they size it down even if they end up charging you because they thought it was 14K gold.  I would think they would be able to tell anyway that there was another substance in the mix.  Hopefully you did not get it from Qvc. 

Respected Contributor

Foundinlv why would you assume that it has resin in it if she bought it at q?  

I have many,many 14k rings from Q. There is no resin in them.  The resin is a somewhat " new" addition in the last several years.

The other posters are correct saying that sizing down is less I worked at a jewelry store for almost 20 years, we always charged for sizing down. Always a set price.

Keep in mind depending on the style/setting the ring is, they may only be able to size down a few sizes without losing the intergrity of the setting.    HTH

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo wrote:

Foundinlv why would you assume that it has resin in it if she bought it at q?  

I have many,many 14k rings from Q. There is no resin in them.  The resin is a somewhat " new" addition in the last several years.

The other posters are correct saying that sizing down is less I worked at a jewelry store for almost 20 years, we always charged for sizing down. Always a set price.

Keep in mind depending on the style/setting the ring is, they may only be able to size down a few sizes without losing the intergrity of the setting.    HTH

I didn't mean to assume, that's why I said I hope she didn't get it at Qvc.  I also know that once a upon a time there were no additives in their 14k gold.  

It has been my experience too that a jewleler will charge you when you size down. My husband gave me his ring that once belonged to his dad and asked me to get it sized down for him and yes they charged me.  They also kept the piece of gold.  

Trusted Contributor

Going rate around here is $50 to size down (platinum and I assume good the same). I've never sized up, nor have I Heard of this done for free.  The do get to keep a few millemeters of the metal, but $50 is what I've been paying and heard from friends the same.

Honored Contributor

Jewelers in my city charge to size down but it's not much.  They have to spend time on it so I think it's only fair to pay them.  I think I paid $15 or $18 the last time.  But if you have to go more than a couple of sizes, it could cost more depending on the ring.