Valued Contributor

My prescription plan has switched to CVS at the "preferred pharmacy" this

year.  Does anyone here get their prescriptions filled there?  Are they pricier than say, Walmart?

One just can't seem to peg pharmacies down on prices.  They're all over the board, so I can't get a general idea if one pharmacy is less expensive than another. 

One time, my med prescription said one wasn't covered (in error).  I said I would just pay cash.  The charge was going to be $55.00.  Then, the problem got cleared up, and they charged the insurance company something like $22.00.  Because the insurance companies are charged less, it's hard to tell where the best prices are for my out of pocket costs, as well as how fast I will end up in the "donut hole".

Honored Contributor

Re: Prescription Prices at CVS?

My company switched to CVS a couple years ago.  I was going to Walgreens.  CVS is cheaper than Walgreens.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And Walmart is probably the cheapest of them all. We dont have Costco in our close area, so I cant compare with them.

Honored Contributor

CVS and Target just merged, so now the Target Pharmacy Rewards Program bit the dust. We are now getting our RX thru our insurance carrier thru the mail, best deal yet. Express Scripts.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not on any drugs that need to be refilled, but when I got my shingles vaccination, I went to Costco and paid less than anyone else I have talked to about it. Don't have a CVS in my community.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Super Contributor

Costco is cheapest by far and you don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy.

Honored Contributor

I'm able to belong to Express Scripts so the only script they fill for me is my BP and it costs me $17.00 for the year. 

ANything we have filled at CVS costs us $0.00 copay or nothing more than $8.00 depending on what my husband may need to have filled.  We paid for a few of his scripts when he was going through cancer but even then, they were mostly preventive or helping him with whatever ailed him at the time.  I think only once we paid $55 for something if I recall.  Most times however, only about $4 or $5.00.

Honored Contributor

Pricing will depend on the agreement between your ins co and CVS. If CVS is the preferred pharmacy then you should pay lower prices. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you for your replies.  I'm wondering if the Target/CVS pharmacy merge will help keep prices down?  I think I'll inquire at Costco as to what they charge for some of my prescriptions.  I can go to any pharmacy, but CVS is now the "preferred" which usually means best prices, as far as I know.

Respected Contributor

We used Express Scripts when my former husband (now deceased) was alive and suffering from a massive stroke. We had to change to a local supplier.    I would never use them again if my own life depended on it.  I prefer not to say more.