Esteemed Contributor

@bowlicious wrote:

I didn't know they would ask that kind of ? when I purchased it.

Okay, I hope you didn't answer the questions.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

It's necessary to register your card - I just went through the process but didn't buy the card in a store.  I wanted to know who I was dealing with and be sure my $$ was safe.  I went directly to American Express website - after reviewing other cards - but w/AE I could add money around the corner from me at Rite Aid.  Ordered the card on line - then gave them all my info - ss number, age, home address, etc.  They emailed me my card had been mailed and to activate it upon arrival.  Since then I added $100 spent a few dollars to test it - added another $400 and now they send me a report, at no cost via email, where I spent money and what my balance is.   It's really neat - and yes you have to give them your personal information so they can monitor your account just like you bank does.   Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I have purchased these cards at my credit union.  They never asked for personal information, but they already have it.  I just gave them my account number and they even allowed me to pay for them from my checking or savings account.

I would not be comfortable purchasing them online and giving out my personal info.

To be safe,  purchase them from your bank or credit union.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prepaid visa card

[ Edited ]

I never heard of this. I buy my 2 older grandkids either a prepaid Mastercard or a prepaid Visa as one of their Christmas gifts every year for the past 4 years. As far as I know they just use it online to shop at various stores and type in the number on the card. No other info is needed.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Yes, they always do that. What should anyone think?  They do this protect the card user from fraud or misue and they also do it so that criminals can't buy those cards to hide money and move it around the world.  

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@bowlicious wrote:

If she doesn't, she can't register the card and she'll have no access to the money. I don't think the store she got it from will refund her.  I've had my two debit cards for years and years and even back then, I had to supply identifying information.  

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I never heard of this. I buy my 2 older grandkids either a prepaid Mastercard or a prepaid Visa as one of their Christmas gifts every year for the past 4 years. As far as I know they just use it online to shop at various stores and type in the number on the card. No other info is needed.

Hi @Shorty2U.  It sounds like you are talking about a gift card - which is what I thought when I first read this.  I think this is a prepaid credit card to which you can keep adding money.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have purchased these cards at my credit union.  They never asked for personal information, but they already have it.  I just gave them my account number and they even allowed me to pay for them from my checking or savings account.

I would not be comfortable purchasing them online and giving out my personal info.

I didn't know they could be purchased at a bank or CU. When I belonged to a large CU within the past year they didn't offer this, but maybe it's a new thing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I didn't know they could be purchased at a bank or CU. When I belonged to a large CU within the past year they didn't offer this, but maybe it's a new thing.

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I didn't know banks had prepaid debit cards either.  They have their own debit cards but they are not prepaid.  I have a prepaid one through my bank, it's linked to my checking account.  If you have a bank debit card, they already have all your information.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prepaid visa card

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@bowlicious wrote:

If she doesn't, she can't register the card and she'll have no access to the money. I don't think the store she got it from will refund her.  I've had my two debit cards for years and years and even back then, I had to supply identifying information.  

Your debit card was issued by a bank, the OP mentioned buying the Visa card.  Where? Who issued the card?  Something is fishy about the whole deal.

I buy Visa gift cards from my bank for weddings, etc and they don't ask personal questions for the giftee. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow