Valued Contributor

@ Preds I have no idea what locking the thread means....do they not just remove them anymore?

Honored Contributor

Re: Preds...thank you

[ Edited ]

@Jannabelle wrote:

@ Preds I have no idea what locking the thread means....do they not just remove them anymore?

@Jannabelle   I'm not Preds but the Mods do both, depending upon what the problem is.   They lock a thread when it's still OK for people to see stuff on the thread but Mods want to end any more discussion there, usually because it's getting out of control angry or fighting and such.   They'll delete a thread when they don't want people seeing its content, such as it is political in nature (forbidden here) or it's  inappropriate for some other reason or it posts links to sites, etc.  So threads can either be deleted totally or moved to another forum or locked.  Locked, again, means the mods think it's OK for people to see the discussion thus far but they want to end the discussion because people are fighting too much or getting too much off topic or violating the board rules in some other way.

You can't reply any more on a locked thread but you can still heart posts on it.

Honored Contributor

Hi, @Jannabelle!  Clearly I'm not @Preds, but I can answer this since I'm up late tonight.    On the new platform the moderators either choose to completely remove a thread (and they usually leave the topic line, but all posts are gone) and it will say "moved" because they actually move it to a separate section of the forum only they can access, or they close the thread for commenting.   No idea how they make that decision.

hth!Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Hi, @Pearlee!   GMTA!Smiley  Hope you're having a lovely evening!  (And you, too, @Jannabelle!)Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Hi, @Pearlee!   GMTA!Smiley  Hope you're having a lovely evening!  (And you, too, @Jannabelle!)Smiley

@dooBdoo  Hi there!  It's late here in the eastern time zone - i'm heading to sleep.

Have a great rest of the night.....

(Oh, and neither of us are Preds!  LOL!)

Honored Contributor

Pearley wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

Hi, @Pearley!   GMTA!Smiley  Hope you're having a lovely evening!  (And you, too, @Jannabelle!)Smiley

@dooBdoo  Hi there!  It's late here in the eastern time zone - i'm heading to sleep.

Have a great rest of the night.....

(Oh, and neither of us are Preds!  LOL!)

Thanks, @Pearlee!   Yep, I'm in the eastern time zone, too...  and we never see our Preds here at this time of night.   She gets up with the roosters.   Or maybe before the roosters!Smiley   Sweet dreams.Smiley

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Jannabelle wrote:

@Jannabelle   I'm not Preds but the Mods do both, depending upon what the problem is.   They lock a thread when it's still OK for people to see stuff on the thread but Mods want to end any more discussion there, usually because it's getting out of control angry or fighting and such.   They'll delete a thread when they don't want people seeing its content, such as it is political in nature (forbidden here) or it's  inappropriate for some other reason or it posts links to sites, etc.  So threads can either be deleted totally or moved to another forum or locked.  Locked, again, means the mods think it's OK for people to see the discussion thus far but they want to end the discussion because people are fighting too much or getting too much off topic or violating the board rules in some other way.

You can't reply any more on a locked thread but you can still heart posts on it.

@Pearlee......thank you so much...I had no idea how they do things now...how,do,you heart posts?  Thanks again!

...sorry my comment to Preds posted twice.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jannabelle, To "heart" a post, just click on the red heart in the lower right corner of the post.   That will create an entry in the person's "Notifications" feed (upper right corner of the page after we sign in). 

Valued Contributor

@dooBdoo.....thank! I am learning!....I wonder what the point is in moving them?...maybe we are not supposed to know? Lol..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jannabelle wrote:

@dooBdoo.....thank! I am learning!....I wonder what the point is in moving them?...maybe we are not supposed to know? Lol..

You're welcome!  I'm still learning! 

My understanding is that they move them either to take time to edit out some posts (and then they reopen the thread) or they have them in their "archives" in case someone disputes the removal of a post or a thread.   So, posts aren't really gone, they're just archived.