Super Contributor

Re: Prayers please! Signed papers for hospice care for my dad

So very sorry for what you are going through. I can sympathize - my son and my father went to Hospice for their last days. I do hope they will help make your Dad's passing easier for him and you both. I am not really a fan of Hospice, though. In the cases of both my son and my father, they actually overdosed them. My father kept trying to get out of bed and they just kept giving him more and more drugs to knock him out, wich they finally did. He died during the night. In the case of my son, they gave him so much morphine for his pain, his respiratory system shut down. 

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

I am so sorry to hear that your father will pass soon.  My brother and MIL both received hospice care before they passed.

My brother passed while a volunteer was playing a full size harp next to his bed.  My MIL passed in the early morning and I was there with her.  My father passed while I was there holding his hand.

Death is part of life.  We who are left behind suffer a loss.  Those who pass over experience joy.

I'll pray for an easy passing for your dad.  You might want to ask the nursing home to call you when they think death is close if you want the honor of being with him at that time.

I wish you peace and comfort.

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak... So sorry to hear about your dad. I know what you are going through. My dad was at home under hospice care for four months before he passed seven years ago. I had not seen my dad so pain-free in many years. The treatment is all about comfort. Because he was so pain-free, it was oddly a happy time. He joked around, and we laughed about the things we had gone through as a family. It was very peaceful at the end. He ate a favorite dinner, laid down for a nap and did not wake up again. The hospice staff is fantastic. They guide you through every step and continue to follow the family for a year. Sending my thoughts and prayers your way. Heart

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer,

My MIL died from congestive heart failure.   The morning she started her decline, the medical doctor ordered  morphine drops to help insure a peaceful passing.  

After my MIL said her goodbyes to the family, 15 drops were administered by mouth, by an RN.  Mom went to sleep, and passed quietly, and peacefully within probably 5 hours.   My BIL and the RN returned the leftover morphine drops to the pharmacy for verification and disposal.   

Trusted Contributor

@cookinfreak, Thoughts and prayers for your dad, you and your family. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will be thinking of you and your dad.  At least you will have time to "say goodbye," which is so very important.  You will have no regrets.

Valued Contributor

Prayers

Respected Contributor

Prayers to you and your Dad. Wishing him comfort and peace.

Hospice was amazing when we needed them. What a kind, compassionate, beyond words type of people.

Honored Contributor

As his child, I hope it gives you comfort to hear him say he wants to go "home" to his Lord. That would give me peace of mind.

Esteemed Contributor

I am truly sorry for what you are going through. If it's any comfort, my experiences with Hospice when my father was dying were excellent. They not only took care of my father but also the rest of us in the family, who needed all the support we could get at this most difficult time. May God bless you and your father.