Honored Contributor

Re: Possible New Kidnapping Ploy?

Whether this is a real thing or not (Daily Mail is a dubious sensational source) I don't let fear run my life. Those people win if I do. I am cautious, I follow my instincts, I don't put myself in certain situations. I don't have any man in my life, nor do I have a weapon. But I will still live my life and do what I want to do.

It is of course up to each person to do what is right for them. If I lived a different life in a different place I'm sure I would make different choices. At this point in my life I have suffered more because of my own family than random strangers. Not really lucky, more sad I guess but true.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Whether this is a real thing or not (Daily Mail is a dubious sensational source) I don't let fear run my life. Those people win if I do. I am cautious, I follow my instincts, I don't put myself in certain situations. I don't have any man in my life, nor do I have a weapon. But I will still live my life and do what I want to do.

It is of course up to each person to do what is right for them. If I lived a different life in a different place I'm sure I would make different choices. At this point in my life I have suffered more because of my own family than random strangers. Not really lucky, more sad I guess but true.

I can relate to your last paragraph - sad, isn't it.

However, I still want to keep myself safe from criminal elements.......

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I 100% agree with your first paragraph, @Greeneyedlady21.

I don't let fear run my life either, and I, too, follow my instincts, and, like you, I don't carry a weapon.

Respected Contributor

There are children all over the USA who are being taken and forced to work in the XXX trade.  There are very few people talking about this horrible problem let alone fighting to get them back home and safe.    If you are really interested Ashton Krutcher was talking to congress about this last week.  He is working with "Operation underground railroad" to get these kids back.  You can find about this at their website    ourrescue.org

Honored Contributor

If it happens to anyone, it might be a good idea to save the shirt for DNA traces.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I think most of us do that already.  Being cautious doesn't mean we are afraid or worried all the time.

There are certain dark parking garages I won't use if I'm alone.  They are known places of attack.

Honored Contributor

I just think in general there is so much fear mongering today. From media and other sources. I understand completely if someone has been victimized in the past, or had a friend or family member who was. How that would make you more fearful and cautious. As women obviously we have certain fears to deal with.

Just for me personally, it does a number on me to dwell on it. I just think there's healthy fear, and unhealthy fear. Limiting daily routine activities, and carrying a weapon for all of them or having someone else limit my activities..well just for me personally that would be unhealthy. But I haven't been victimized in the past or had it happen to someone I love.
Honored Contributor

The story about the flannel shirt may not be accurate but I saw an interview with a woman who was kidnapped when she tried to remove something from her windshield wiper.   She was a young hispanic woman, she said in the interview she was repeatedly raped by a gang of men who grabbed her while she was distracted.    I can't remember the details and I just watched it!    But often you can come out of a store and someone has put a flyer of some sort under your wiper and what's your first reaction?    Bend over the hood & take it off.   That's when they get you.

The windshield wiper story is all over the internet, I've seen actual news reports from different TV stations.

And so what if it's not true?   If the story encourages 1 woman to be diligent it's worth it.

@ChynnaBlue

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Oh, you're right, @KingstonsMom. I missed the quote from the police in the Daily Mail story because they buried it under a completely irrelevant prom picture of the girl.

@ChynnaBlue

C'mon Chynna, give me a break.

In no way did I post this article to incite mass hysteria over this event, or swear it to be gospel and the thread title and first sentence clearly uses the word "possible" and "fear that this could be a ploy".

Maybe because of my friend's experience, I just thought it was worth reminding everyone to be aware of their surroundings and those around them and keep your eye out for the 'unusual'.

I truly regret even posting this thread now, sometimes it's just not worth it.......

Time for a break from here.....peace out.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMomJust to clarify, I wasn't suggesting at all that what you posted is not very important and valid. It is, and it's completely worth it to remind everyone to be aware. I'm sorry if my posts came across to you as dismissive of that in any way. Didn't mean to.

I understand the place you are coming from, and I'm so sorry about your friend.