Honored Contributor

Re: Possible New Kidnapping Ploy?

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

What will they think of next?!

We tend to go the same place, and really let down our guard because it all feels "safe" and "normal". but when we least expect it, we could be a target. 

Thanks for posting this. I wouldn't have thought about something like this happening.

And I'd caution that if they are doing this to distract and cause harm (whether it is abduction or simply to steal your purse or car), then I guess we need to watch for any other thing that would make us focus our attention on our car (flat tire when we come out of the store, obstructions placed behind the car or under the tires that we would have to take time to move out of the way, etc.) rather than our surroundings.  When this story gets out, they will think of another way for the victim to be distracted and occupied. 

@Mominohio

Great advice! This ploy to distract and get you out of your car, for whatever criminal intent, can be modified in many ways!

So as sad as it is, we have to constantly be aware these days and not get too complacent, even in our most familiar environments.

I have a personal experience of being too complacent in familiar surroundings, that happened to a GF of mine and I'll try to be brief:

It's Christmas, she's shopping at the jewelry counter of an upscale store in the mall, purchased a large stone blue topaz ring for her Mom (her birthstone), unaware that a couple of guys had been watching her and followed her out of the store.

Thinking it was a large diamond ring, so she must be wealthy, they kidnapped her and held her for 3 days for a ransom.

She was rescued by the FBI when they went to meet the ransom demand, but you don't want to know what she went through in those 3 days.

Oh My goodness @KingstonsMom!

I'm so sorry for what your friend went through! I'm glad that they were caught and she was still alive to tell about it.

I don't like to use credit and don't have a debit card. I have been trying to  pay cash anywhere I can. It helps me control my spending, but I know it can make me a target as well. I am careful not to show how much money I'm carrying, but I suspect there are people in and around stores watching to see who is paying with cash and considering if they are worth the risk of trying to rob. 

So as well as not making purchases of expensive things in person (like your friend and her ring), maybe paying with the swipe of a card is a safer option too, because you don't appear to be loaded with a wad of cash in your wallet, and a quick and easy target for those wanting to do harm.

Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

And people laugh at the fact my husband and my BIL won't anymore let me or my sister go shopping alone..  with the exception of the hair salon or grocery store.  It's getting so unsafe for women.. when we travel my husband carries. 

Please ladies be careful and don't let down your guard. 

I know I don't let my mom go much of anywhere unattended anymore. She is 80 and a very small woman. In reality, she can outrun me with my bad knees, and has lost more spunk than I'll ever have, but she looks like the perfect target.

I try to be with her when she is going to any stores or errands. She seems to prefer it that way too, but what a shame we are loosing our freedom and security because of people that are really of no use to society. Sad indeed.

@Suziepeach

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio, oh I can understand what you're saying!!  That's what they look for, a perfect target.. my husband and I are in our 60's, we were talking just the other evening how years ago I'd go shopping alone and not think a thing of it.. well I sure as hail do now!!  It's like he says, "People have just gotten so mean, hail is getting more packed each and everyday!"

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Yes, we were all so glad she was alive, but her life was changed forever, which is so sad.

She would never be able to have children as a result of her injuries and was a newlywed. Smiley Sad  

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

That is so creepy--thanks for sharing and possibly saving a life~!  

One time I was leaving a shopping mall at night--a man followed me through the parking lot to my car about 20 cars away from the curb to sell me candy bars.  (I know he was waiting for me to get out my wallet--I kindly declined as not to upset him, and have never gone to a mall at night myself again).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Mominohio

Yes, we were all so glad she was alive, but her life was changed forever, which is so sad.

She would never be able to have children as a result of her injuries and was a newlywed. Smiley Sad  

@KingstonsMom, that is sad, very sad our world has gotten like this, and even sadder her life has been changed forever... One stupid idiotic action by those horrible people!!!  I am so very happy she's okay and had the sense to drive away.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

We stopped at a gas station and my hubby went into the restroom... when he was coming out this man was approaching the car and looking at me..  hubby very sternly said, 'STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR NOW!!!!".... he backed away quickly..

Go VOLS
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Mominohio

I certainly hope @KingstonsMom, that those involved are under the prison floors today. I truly believe that there are people in this world that are of no redeemable purpose and shouldn't be here. People like this. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Mominohio

I certainly hope @KingstonsMom, that those involved are under the prison floors today. I truly believe that there are people in this world that are of no redeemable purpose and shouldn't be here. People like this. 

@KingstonsMom, just a quick gif for @Mominohio post!!!

Go VOLS
Honored Contributor

Let me add (I'm on a roll) to those that desecrate cemeteries- burn!!!   Grrrrrrrr... there'a no respect for anything or anyone anymore!!!!!!

Go VOLS