Trusted Contributor

Re: Please explain to me WHY the error at the Oscars is such a big deal.

@Noel7 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

Because these so-called celebrities are SOOO ridiculously self-absorbed and think so very, very highly of themselves.  I'm sure it would crush them to know that there are so many people who don't give a rat's butt about them or what they do.  I, for one, couldn't care less about a single one of them - other than to say that the great majority of them turn my stomach.

@12andcounting

Not even Gary Sinise and all he does for our vets?  There's a report below on his latest wonderful act for our men and women warriors.

@Noel7

I misspoke when saying not caring about a "single one of them."  Of course, there are a small number (like Gary Sinise) who don't fit the bill of being the self-absorbed ones we generally hear about.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

Because these so-called celebrities are SOOO ridiculously self-absorbed and think so very, very highly of themselves.  I'm sure it would crush them to know that there are so many people who don't give a rat's butt about them or what they do.  I, for one, couldn't care less about a single one of them - other than to say that the great majority of them turn my stomach.

@12andcounting

Not even Gary Sinise and all he does for our vets?  There's a report below on his latest wonderful act for our men and women warriors.

@Noel7

I misspoke when saying not caring about a "single one of them."  Of course, there are a small number (like Gary Sinise) who don't fit the bill of being the self-absorbed ones we generally hear about.  Thanks for pointing that out.

@12andcounting

Actually, there are numerous people in that business who give and give a lot.

You might be interested in skimming page 10 of the conversation about Tom and Rita Hanks who participate in many charities and support a lot of them, a lot, financially.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7

Maybe I should put it this way -- the ones we generally hear about and the ones making the most noise are the ones I can do without.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

@Noel7

Maybe I should put it this way -- the ones we generally hear about and the ones making the most noise are the ones I can do without.

I can understand that @12andcounting I don't follow celebs except for headlines we all see and some conversations here.  But if one comes under scrutiny, I like to look up information about them, which I recently did with Tom and Rita Hanks.  By all accounts, they are good people who share. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@Noel7

I can understand that @12andcounting I don't follow celebs except for headlines we all see and some conversations here.  But if one comes under scrutiny, I like to look up information about them, which I recently did with Tom and Rita Hanks.  By all accounts, they are good people who share. 

@Noel7    @12andcounting

Whenever KPCC, the LA based NPR radio station, is fund raising, Tom & Rita always help out.   Usually they'll donate $25k if the other viewers contribute to a certain dollar amount.    There was one fund raising period where they donated a good sum daily, to encourage others to give what they could.

They also make larger donations to various other PBS stations.    It's a small part of what they do.  They also donate to many organizations benefitting animals.

They aren't "self absorbed" celebrities, and they are not unique.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@Noel7

@Noel7    @12andcounting

Whenever KPCC, the LA based NPR radio station, is fund raising, Tom & Rita always help out.   Usually they'll donate $25k if the other viewers contribute to a certain dollar amount.    There was one fund raising period where they donated a good sum daily, to encourage others to give what they could.

They also make larger donations to various other PBS stations.    It's a small part of what they do.  They also donate to many organizations benefitting animals.

They aren't "self absorbed" celebrities, and they are not unique.

Right!  @Tinkrbl44

I don't think anyone can rightly call them self absorbed.

Honored Contributor

I assume if it's still being discussed on news shows and talk shows and late night tv, it's still a big deal. Furthermore, another thread on here proves it, right?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Well, just because it's being discussed here, doesn't mean it's still a big deal out in the real world.   Hey, there's still a recent thread here about Lisa Robertson leaving QVC and what is she doing!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44. Bringing up having yet another thread on here about the error was tongue in cheek. A thread here definitely is always not a sign that news is earth shaking or even important. As far as LR, phew! I just skip all that.  Have a good weekend.