Esteemed Contributor

Planning A Celebration For My Dad

My Dad's family (nieces, etc) have told me that they want to come up next February to celebrate my Dad's 90th birthday.

That's a milestone that does deserve to be celebrated.

Since my dad lives in a small apartment, there is just no room to have any kind of decent get-together.

The family had a big celebration for his sister when she turned 85, and my dad felt hurt that he wasn't acknowledged as being important in her life.

So, I have to find and rent a hall.

How long will it be?

Is four hours long enough?

I think so, but I don't know.

I need to hire a caterer, maybe a photographer, and maybe a dee-jay. Dad always did like swing music best.

I have never undertaken anything like this before.

First thing first though, I need to find out how many people are going to be there.

Ack!

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and this WON'T be a "gift grab".

It's just people coming together to celebrate my dad's life.

Honored Contributor

Re: Planning A Celebration For My Dad

[ Edited ]

This sounds like such fun!

I'd try to get a handle on the number of people first, as that will determine everything from the size of the venue to the food etc.

If cost isn't an issue, I'd suggest hiring everything done so you can not be exhausted and enjoy the whole event.

I'd say that if your dad is going to be present for the entire event, 4 hours seems long enough. If he is up to more time, why not?!!

Keep it simple. Don't let caterers talk you into too much or too expensive of food. You want it nice, but I know when I start to plan, I kind of go off the rails sometimes.

Same with decor, but a nice running slide show (or  whatever that type of thing is now called) of pics of his life, running on a screen would be fun. Include as much family in those pics as possible.

Lots of photos of the event and someone to maybe do video. I like if people can talk to the camera and wish him well, like they do at weddings, then he can watch it over later.

Get videos of anyone who can't come but is special to him, so he and the guests can watch.

Most important Have Fun!

Esteemed Contributor

Bless your heart, PP2. Your dad will be so grateful and probably have a blast no matter what.

I think four hours is plenty. Bare in mind that your dad will probably  tire fairly easily.

First things first, is to find out how many will attend, then rent the hall depending on that number, then the other fun stuff.

Do you think he would enjoy a roast?

Keep us posted on your plans. Sounds like fun.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

I would check out the cost of renting a private room in a restaurant and compare it to the cost of renting a hall and a caterer.  A restaurant would be one bill, plus it would be much nicer in terms of environment.  Many restaurants will also do a buffet style set up and hosted bar if you ask.

Esteemed Contributor

What a wonderful daughter you are!...It sounds like you pretty much have everything covered, as well as suggestions from other posters...I just want to add, from your statement regarding his sister, it would be great to acknowledge their close relationship as part of the celebration!...I'm sure that will add an extra dose of happiness for him!

Oh, also it would be great to put any pictures together that you may have of him throughout his life and display them...Do you have any videos that you can also show of family gatherings, special occasions, etc.

And another "Oh"...lol...You have plenty of time to plan, so don't stress yourself and just enjoy planning it all out...You sound so excited and I am excited for you!

Can I come?...I love parties!...LOL

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2, I like @RazorSharp's suggestions. I think 4-hours is more than enough and would lean toward a three-hour event. Love the dea of a slide show. Food is the least important to the event, everyone will have such fun reminiscing. Buffet sounds awesome. Your dad will love it! Bless you!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I think I'd be tempted to have an affair celebrating dad this summer when the weather isn't so iffy and you could do something outside.  Maybe rent a Pavillion in a park or something.  Picnic food is so good and easy too.  Decorations much more simple

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

you're going to get all the advice that you need here, i have no doubt.  i just wanted to wish your dad a very happy 90th and i think what you are doing for him is so special.  he will be thrilled.  enjoy every minute.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think I'd be tempted to have an affair celebrating dad this summer when the weather isn't so iffy and you could do something outside.  Maybe rent a Pavillion in a park or something.  Picnic food is so good and easy too.  Decorations much more simple

It's his 90th BIRTHDAY.  Think a little bigger and more DIGNIFIED for the guy than sticking him outside in the summer heat and serving him a hot dog on a plastic tablecloth. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, find out how many people will attend then go from there. Also I would do as suggested rent a private room at a resturant they will supply food, music etc.. all done without you having to go into too much stress. Due to your Dad's age suggest it be a luncheon since the elderly don't like to drive at night or don't like to stay up late. Maybe google pinterest typing in 90th b/d party to get ideas of how to handle it. Also limit the menu to a beef, chicken or veggie plate because if you give them full menu it will take longer for food to arrive and also too costly. This way the resturant will know how much food to order & cook. Wish you luck, much easier to let a resturant handle it all.