Honored Contributor

Re: Pittsburgh ladies - we had the best corn yesterday...

On 8/16/2014 Georgie the 5th said:

We've recently discovered Ambrose Farm Market in Cabot, PA. Wonderful produce and the corn was out of this world. They have a melon that beats anything I've ever tasted. It is something like a cross between a honeydew and a cantaloupe.

Where is Cabot, Pa ? that is one I have never heard of, and I have lived in Pitts. area all my life.

Super Contributor

On 8/16/2014 happy housewife said:

We've recently discovered Ambrose Farm Market in Cabot, PA. Wonderful produce and the corn was out of this world. They have a melon that beats anything I've ever tasted. It is something like a cross between a honeydew and a cantaloupe.

Where is Cabot, Pa ? that is one I have never heard of, and I have lived in Pitts. area all my life.

Cabot is a rural community S of Butler and N of Saxonburg.

Honored Contributor

We've been feasting on our upper MI corn!! We feel it is THE best! Time to make my annual corn relish! Ymmm!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Cabot is a rural community S of Butler and N of Saxonburg.

Thanks - i grew up in Dorseyville but i have not heard of Cabot.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/16/2014 nunya said:
On 8/15/2014 JESSA said:

I got mine from the boys at Freedom Farms in Butler...it was good too.

Isn't that the farm from Farm Kings? My sister goes there. I usually go to Volant to the Amish stand and sometimes over to Evans City.

Yes,,,those boys are so nice.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

On 8/16/2014 Katrinka23 said:

I go to Trax at least once a week---their corn is the best. I also love their asparagus in the spring and their blueberries are big and sweet. I think the blueberries are finished now. They also have unusual plants that you don't find at most garden centers. In fact, I just like Trax Farms.

I heard that some people are boycotting them because they allowed a shale well on the property. Those people are hurting themselves - cheating themselves out of the best produce around.I think people only get upset over the wells because they are jealous that they aren't getting that money and someone else is. Trax employes a lot of local people. I wonder if they ever thought of that?

Believe me we are not jealous, we are concerned about the environment, we care about the water, we care about the dumping of poison chemicals that Fracking uses...

Honored Contributor

Tonight we had some fabulous Jersey corn along with our Jersey tomatoes.

Respected Contributor

We have property and they could never offer me enough money for me to sign a paper letting these out fits come on my land to drill. Just wait in the years to come what this is going to do to all soil and property that they have been allowed to dump chemicals into. I can't believe how people cannot realize what they are doing to the environment. I would never say yes to anyone of these companies. For people who have wells there is no way that all this vibration of the earth when they are drilling isn't going to hurt peoples wells then what do they do for water? I will keep my land for the future residents and they can keep their money.

Honored Contributor

The level where you get your water for your well is at a few hundred feet at most. They go down at least a mile or two before they do the fracking. That is between 5000 to 10,000 ft. And then they go out like a wagon wheel spokes for up to several miles. That is where they frack. 2 or 3 miles from the site of the well. When a person owns property you do not own the mineral rights under the ground. That is owned by someone else, around here it is generally some coal company. - they can frack right under your house because they get permission from who ever owns the mineral rights. You don't even know they are under there.

Another fact you may not know - they have been fracking in this country to get OIL since the 1960s - this is nothing new.Just doing it here in the Northeast to get shale GAS is new.

Respected Contributor

My sister bought her farm and the mineral rights. My Mother lives next to her on the property.

Her neighbors signed up, now there is a well pad in the next back yard overlooking the flattened woods. You can't hear yourself think.