Honored Contributor

Re: Phone Scam From Montana Going On. Don't Answer...

I installed nomorobo onto our landline. Here is the website which explains how it works and you go their website give them your e mail and look up your service provider. They look up your provider to see if their program is compatible with your system and they will send you an e mail (the one you provided to them) so they can walk you through how to activate it.

https://www.nomorobo.com/signup

The program works like this: the first ring is sending it through their system, if its a legitimate caller-- it will send it on to your phone for subsequent rings. Nomorobo will not block physicians, pharmacy or school phones (mass dialers for school closings for example). It can also block political calls. Sometimes a robocall or live telemarketer gets through and you will have to log in and report it.

Its nice to sit at the dinner table and be undisturbed by the constant ringing of the phone.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I got calls from scammers a couple of weeks ago. They said they were from the IRS. Very thick middle eastern accents. I went to the .gov website and reported it. I also Googled the phone # and learned that others had experienced the same thing. I'm going to check out nomorobo. Thanks for the tips!

Honored Contributor

Oh yeah I've gotten the IRS call several times.

When we get calls we don't know, we don't answer them. DH picks up the phone and just hits the button to disconnect them and hangs up. But sometimes I will come home after being gone awhile and have 5+ messages all scammers or robo calls. I am very, very glad the elections are over with. I'm more than tired of those calls.

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 JustJazzmom said:

I installed nomorobo onto our landline. Here is the website which explains how it works and you go their website give them your e mail and look up your service provider. They look up your provider to see if their program is compatible with your system and they will send you an e mail (the one you provided to them) so they can walk you through how to activate it.

https://www.nomorobo.com/signup

The program works like this: the first ring is sending it through their system, if its a legitimate caller-- it will send it on to your phone for subsequent rings. Nomorobo will not block physicians, pharmacy or school phones (mass dialers for school closings for example). It can also block political calls. Sometimes a robocall or live telemarketer gets through and you will have to log in and report it.

Its nice to sit at the dinner table and be undisturbed by the constant ringing of the phone.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}I've been championing Nomorobo for months. It's not available where I live but I keep bugging my provider about it. Everyone I know who has signed up has been extremely pleased with the results.

(For those who find it's not available, the website tells you how to request it from your service provider.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

Speaking of magazines, I bought a couple of items from JCrew. I received my bill last week and in addition to the items, there was a charge of $39 for magazine subscription. I called right away and told them I wasn't paying for that, had not ordered them, and if they pursued it I would go to court to stop this fraudulent practice. We'll see.....

Honored Contributor

Do not call doesn't work for scammers! They don't care if they get fined - they just change their name and keep on going.

Do not call seems to work well when it comes to legitimate businesses. I haven't had a single call since I activated my # in May.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't had a landline for 6 years, but my cell is registered with do not call list & I've only had two calls in the last years. It's wonderful not to have those political calls or bank calls.

Super Contributor

About a year ago I quit answering my phone unless I recognize the number ... I just pick up the phone and then hang up ... that way they cannot leave a message ...

Sometimes I google the number, just out of curiosity ... and 9 times out of 10 it turns out there is a list of stories about that number ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Respected Contributor

If I do not recognize an area code on my land line or cell I do not answer. If they are legit they will leave a message.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 newziesuzie said:

We NEVER answer if we don't know the caller ID. But thanks for warning us OP.Smiley Happy

we NEVER answer either.....so easy and no headaches. thank goodness for caller id, answering machines, and cell phones (although these types of calls are starting to appear there also.....i still dont answer)!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein