Trusted Contributor
Why does the doctors office ask you to come early just to wait a minimum of an hour and sometimes longer but if I were to call and request to come 15 minutes late they would want to charge me a cancellation fee.

It's not just one doctors office, it's all of them....really gets on my nerve...while I sit here, I have been here since 3:15 for my 3:30 appointment. SMH....
Respected Contributor

Re: Pet Peeve...

[ Edited ]

Because we are subject to their demands, like it or not.  We have no other option.  I wonder why we can't charge them by the minute for wasting our time.

Valued Contributor

Not sure I understand your post. It seems you have been waiting only 15 min? Got  there at 3:15 for a 3:30 appt.?

Trusted Contributor
It's 4:25 here.
Honored Contributor

I hate waiting for doctors. For routine things, I always make my appointment for the first appointment of the day.  At least that cuts down on some of it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I've been to well-run Drs'. offices and ones that were not run very well.  There Is A Big Difference.

The first set did a good job of getting me in, inside of 15 minutes or so -- the latter, well you are experiencing it right now.

I complained often...the Drs. didn't want to deal with management of the office and said just that, so that's why I got that kind of service.  This may be the very issue at your Drs'. office as well.

I feel for you

Respected Contributor

Years ago I took my son into dr. appt. for blood on his pillow. I am so grateful the doctor took the time to remove the obstruction.  Yes, it probably made the next patient wait a bit longer.  I don't mind waiting a bit longer if another patient needs it.

Esteemed Contributor

Just repeat your appointment time stating you'll be there for the appt then say thanks and hang up. When making the appt state if not taken within 20min of your appt time you will considered it cancelled and demand your co-pay back:  if they give you a hard time make a stink - they want their customers to sit quietly for hours on end.  you are a customer, the doctor/staff are not gods, your monies support them - so expect to be treated appropriately.  If everyone would stand up for their rights, this accepted practice would no longer be practiced.

Valued Contributor

Re: Pet Peeve...

[ Edited ]

Not to defend them, necessarily. There may be some lack of good organization or management in your particular office, however, as a nurse, I can tell you that a lot of the time it is due to various factors which change from day to day. 

First of all, you have folks who show up late, then you have your garden variety emergencies which pop up, unexpectedly. Every little delay adds up.

Most of the time, I would say it's someone's seemingly routine visit which turns into something much more in depth or time-consuming, and trust me, when you are the recipient of such meticulous care and concern from a health care provider, you are grateful! 

Consider also the potential needs of some of the elderly or disabled patients who might be seeing the doctor. They may walk slower, require assistance or even need help wheeling themselves in and out.  Every patient deserves the physician's full attention and care, so while it can be frustrating and aggravating, there is often a good explanation for it.  A lot of physicians' offices are also overwrought because there is a severe shortage of good doctors in some areas.  I know where we live, we've lost quite a few to early retirement and to concierge care. Sadly, doctors are losing reimbursement so severely that they are opting out of practicing medicine. This causes serious backlogs in many practices who have to pick up extra patients.

I hate waiting, too, but sometimes there truly is a very good reason for the delay. I try to imagine how I would feel if it was my family member needing the extra attention, that I would be grateful having to wait, knowing they are getting the care they need.

Honored Contributor

They all seem to overbook slightly but in addition to that there are patients that consider the time with the doctor to catch up socially, or the reason they are there is far more concerning to the doctor than they figured when they set up the appt and he/she spends a lot more time evaluating the patient.

Some offices are simply run better than other offices.... but when an emergeny hits during the day I'm extremely glad the doctor spends the extra time with the patient because I know if the day comes that I might need the extra time (which throws the schedule totally out of whack) the doctor will spend that time with me.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*