Respected Contributor

Re: Permanent Brows - Microblading vs Tattooing

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I would choose microblading so I could fill it in with brow pencil to avoid that sameness day in day out appearance that is a sure giveaway.  I have seen women with microblading and always could tell just like tattooing.  Brow pencils can look pretty flawless and especially if you use two different shades when you are completely without brows such as a blonde base and then a med to dark brown for shading and emphasis on the arch.  My brows are sparse and over time became expert on filling them in. 

With all the products out there, over the years I've tried a few. Filling in and creating an arch as a believable brow is a no can do, for me. I have brows, but they've never been especially full and now half of them are white, and I have some of those "wild" white hairs. My brows are differently shaped from each other, and neither one of them has ever had an arch. So, not blessed in the "easy to fix" way.  And no, not spending half an hour messing with them because the end result, done by me, would look no better than before I started.

I suspect it's more/most difficult to microblade on sparse light brows - the technician would really have to be good as there's less sub-par work that could pass or be ignored or overlooked. Not too dark, not too light, and thick enough but not too thick.

@Moonchilde I think you should make an appointment with an esthetician and get a consultation because in your case it might be easier to have what's left of your brows removed by either electrolysis or laser light and then microblated to your specification. You wil be able to get the shape and arch that you want and not have to worry about regrowth. 

Honored Contributor

I asked my cousin who does the hair stroke method of tattooing permanent makeup and she said the microblading only lasts about a year and even less if you are in the sun a lot.She doesn't do it and she doesn't recommend it.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I asked my cousin who does the hair stroke method of tattooing permanent makeup and she said the microblading only lasts about a year and even less if you are in the sun a lot.She doesn't do it and she doesn't recommend it.

It lasts longer than a year.  Your cousin doens't have the correct information about the procedure.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde, if you have more melanin in your skin, does it last longer?  I have been blessed with a lot--even if I wear a major number sunscreen, I still tan very easily.

Honored Contributor

I asked my hair stylist yesterday about microblading (she owns this hair salon/spa), and they offer this service.  I did some research on my own and when I saw there was a possibility of keloid, I said nope as I am prone to keloid.

Looks very interesting and to anyone that gets it, I hope it turns out perfect!!! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

@Moonchilde, if you have more melanin in your skin, does it last longer?  I have been blessed with a lot--even if I wear a major number sunscreen, I still tan very easily.

That's definitely my feeling. I like to occasionally get mehndi (henna) art on my hand or foot. I have had it applied by Indian women using centuries-old knowledge and dye imported from India, i.e. not someone who just went shopping at the local beauty supply.

I have more or less the complexion of a red or auburn-haired person, always burn in the sun, etc. and have light-colored eyes. A henna artist can do a friend of mine and theirs will last 10 days, while me, coming after - the henna never gets really dark after drying, and my usual lasting is 4 days max. I also think pH of skin, medications, etc matters.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I would choose microblading so I could fill it in with brow pencil to avoid that sameness day in day out appearance that is a sure giveaway.  I have seen women with microblading and always could tell just like tattooing.  Brow pencils can look pretty flawless and especially if you use two different shades when you are completely without brows such as a blonde base and then a med to dark brown for shading and emphasis on the arch.  My brows are sparse and over time became expert on filling them in. 

With all the products out there, over the years I've tried a few. Filling in and creating an arch as a believable brow is a no can do, for me. I have brows, but they've never been especially full and now half of them are white, and I have some of those "wild" white hairs. My brows are differently shaped from each other, and neither one of them has ever had an arch. So, not blessed in the "easy to fix" way.  And no, not spending half an hour messing with them because the end result, done by me, would look no better than before I started.

I suspect it's more/most difficult to microblade on sparse light brows - the technician would really have to be good as there's less sub-par work that could pass or be ignored or overlooked. Not too dark, not too light, and thick enough but not too thick.

@Moonchilde I think you should make an appointment with an esthetician and get a consultation because in your case it might be easier to have what's left of your brows removed by either electrolysis or laser light and then microblated to your specification. You wil be able to get the shape and arch that you want and not have to worry about regrowth. 

Really wouldn't do that - or have it done by anyone who would suggest that. But definitely, regrowth and how to handle it would need to be discussed. I would think it would have to be threading, because waxing over time would pull all the color out; might even have to be tweezing.

Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

I asked my hair stylist yesterday about microblading (she owns this hair salon/spa), and they offer this service.  I did some research on my own and when I saw there was a possibility of keloid, I said nope as I am prone to keloid.

Looks very interesting and to anyone that gets it, I hope it turns out perfect!!! 

It all depends on whether I can find a salon I (or someone I know) trust(s), the price-to-color lasting ratio, and the state of my income tax, which I get done next week ;-)

There is ONE place who advertises and has good reviews in my closest decent-sized city. They don't advertise prices, of course ;-( If I could get it done for between $500-600 I'd probably go for it, IRS notwithstanding.

I have a family member who could at least advise me where not to go around here.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde To get your brows ready before microblading it will take time plucking and reshaping them and finding your brow bone so they know where the best spot is to microblade.  You say that your brows are not the same shape and have no arch?  Believe me they can do wonders but it will require a lot of removal of your existing brows to achieve it.  If they microbladed over your brows that you say are not the same shape or have an arch then what are you achieving?  
Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Moonchilde To get your brows ready before microblading it will take time plucking and reshaping them and finding your brow bone so they know where the best spot is to microblade.  You say that your brows are not the same shape and have no arch?  Believe me they can do wonders but it will require a lot of removal of your existing brows to achieve it.  If they microbladed over your brows that you say are not the same shape or have an arch then what are you achieving?  

There's a difference between some plucking and some reshaping and totally removing them, which is what you had suggested. I do occasionally have my brows threaded or waxed, but I would NOT just have them totally removed.