Honored Contributor

Re: People today amaze me.

[ Edited ]

So that employee will be out out a paycheck for a month+, yikes.  

Honored Contributor

You get nothing much in the business world that you don't ask for.  I fault the new employee only for getting huffy when she was asked to leave. 

The hiring attorney was correct to ask her to leave. 

I don't know who to fault for OP's daughter being overworked by having to train the potential new employee.  If she's head of the department and getting paid more than other workers -  that increase may account for the extra work load.

If not, then she, too, has to speak up to her superior - or as department head, do some reassigning of tasks. She may not get the relief she wants, but it sounds obvious she's not getting relief if she doesn't ask - and she's going to find herself in the same situation very soon again. 

Honored Contributor

The new employee was remiss in thinking she would be kept on for the two weeks. She should have waited to give it until the Friday prior to the Monday she would begin her new position. 

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The new employee was remiss in thinking she would be kept on for the two weeks. She should have waited to give it until the Friday prior to the Monday she would begin her new position. 

Yes, this would have been the best move for her since she will probably not include this job on her resume.  

Valued Contributor

In my experience, if you're leaving your job to go to a so called competitor, you are usually asked to leave immediately.  Had she just given 2 weeks notice and not told them where she was going, she may have gotten away with being paid and getting the additional training.  

Have seen many people walked out of the job for doing just that.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

I have read many posts here regarding the difficulty of securing a job in the prevailing job market.  It is fortuitous that this woman was able to obtain employment with two different law firms without any previous experience in the field. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think that girl made the right decision to take the other job from what I've read here.  

Respected Contributor

I think that happens a lot.  I worked for a Fortune 500 corporation.  We would hire someone out of college and if they resigned before their sixty day probation was up, they were released immediately.  It takes time and money to train people.  If they find another job for more money or better location that's fine, but where I worked if you did that you were gone the same day you turned in your notice.

Honored Contributor

Re: People today amaze me.

[ Edited ]

My daughter is a manager at a corporate owned (not franchised) restaurant and sees it all the time.

Whether you are an internal promotion or an external hire with prior management experience, all newly promoted or hired managers go through 3 months of training and a lot of them don't even last three months once they finish the program.

Valued Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Yes, this would have been the best move for her since she will probably not include this job on her resume.  

Sorry to disagree.  The young lady was trying to do what she thought was the right thing- giving her employer 2 weeks notice.  The employer did what they thought was the right thing- asking her leave that day.  No harm, no foul.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.