Trusted Contributor

People Who Don't Say Thank You

To me it is like flushing the toilet--I do it naturally. I am finding that more and more people do not function like this. Is it because we live in a world where we have so much instant gratification that we come to expect everything from others without showing any gratitude? The worst is when they don't say thank you and there are children around. They are setting a bad example right before your eyes. I had a nasty customer service represtantative on the line yesterday and I still thanked her for helping me ( I kind of did set her straight during our coversation though lol). I don't care if you wear white after labor  day or even wear birkenstocks with socks what bothers me is when people don't say thank you!

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: People Who Don't Say Thank You

I can think of bigger personal pet peeves..............

Valued Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

To me it is like flushing the toilet--I do it naturally. I am finding that more and more people do not function like this. Is it because we live in a world where we have so much instant gratification that we come to expect everything from others without showing any gratitude? The worst is when they don't say thank you and there are children around. They are setting a bad example right before your eyes. I had a nasty customer service represtantative on the line yesterday and I still thanked her for helping me ( I kind of did set her straight during our coversation though lol). I don't care if you wear white after labor  day or even wear birkenstocks with socks what bothers me is when people don't say thank you!

I am so with you on this topic. I am so totally fed up with people who cannot take 10 minutes to write a thank you note it just makes me want to scream!

I have spent so much money on wedding gifts for girls without receiving a thank you note, that I have actually called the bride after 3 to 4 months to see if she received the gift. How do I know if the department store got the gift out to her and she actually received the gift? The brides make sure they get that invitation off in time for the wedding, but do not have the class to write a note.

This is not the majority of the women but I would say at least four to five out of ten this has happened over the years. And this is not just for brides. I mean luncheons, any kind of gift, and I do not care the price, 5.00 or 50.00, show your class if you have any, and take the time to write a thank you note. Not an e-mail. Write!

Thanks for letting me vent.                         bamasec

Honored Contributor

I think it's manners 101.  I do it automatically, even when I've been less than pleased with an interaction.  (I have other ways to respond later, if needed)

I also wish people would either respond with "you're welcome" or "thank you, too" and not "no problem".

Honored Contributor

Many people don't have manners anymore and alot of people don't think that's important anymore either. I think it's a shame people can't value and respect each other even in a small way by saying please and thank you. I think the parents are not teaching their children manners and how to behave in public. When I was raising my son I insisted he treat everyone as he would like to be treated and his manners were and are impeccable.

Trusted Contributor

Sydney H says she can think of bigger pet peeves. I believe that the simple act of saying thank you is a "building block" of sorts. It is a reflection of what is to come. People who have gratitude and can empathize and appreciate  don't go on to do the things that may be "bigger pet peeves'.

My goodness the thank you note. If someone spends such a high amount of the money they worked long hours for, the least you can do is send a nice thank you note. Basamec is totally right. I bought A nice little set of thank you notes not too long ago just in case.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with both @JBKO and @SydneyH!! To me, this is without a doubt my number one pet peeve. 

My daughter is now 26 soon to be 27 and she has been saying yes ma'am, yes sir, please and thank you since she was 2. It was the first thing I taught her. My grandson will be 2 in July and has been saying all of the above for about 2 months. At first we always prompted him with saying please when he was asking for or wanting something. We had to do it over and over but I noticed about a month ago, he does it all by himself without being prompted!! I praised him like crazy and he was so proud of himself, that sweet little guy!! The past week or two he started saying thank you without being prompted when he gets something he has asked for. It makes me proud and people notice. When we have been out to eat he has said thank you several times to the server after he gets his drink or food. When he says it the server or person he says it to, have made a big deal out of it too telling him what a good boy he was. He just grins from ear to ear. 

It is such a simple thing that requires no money or personal sacrifice but means so much and SHOWS so much about your upbringing and you as a person. 

I have noticed (as I did when my daughter was younger) that some parents don't require this at all and when I have spent time with them on play dates when I have my grandson, they don't encourage their child to say please or thank you when they should. This bothers me. One friend of mine that I got together with on a play date with my grandson and her 3 1/2 yr old daughter even told me he was too young to be learning or saying that and he was just a kid and I shouldn't be pushing him like that. I really let her know how I feel, I told her that too young ****** was nonsense and a child should be taught manners as soon as they can talk and even before. I do know the reason she said that though, my grandson said thank you when he received his food when we went out to eat with them and I know it embarrassed her because her child said nothing and when my grandson said thank you the server really went nuts saying over and over how polite he was. I am pretty sure my friend felt shown up. Plain and simple. 

Anyhow, I am completely with you and I think it is VITAL that children learn that as soon as possible. I cringe when people don't do it themselves in front of their children and show a good example!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

IMO, both 'please' and 'thank you' matter a lot.  

I like manners, and common courtesies.   It seems like manners are becoming less and less prevalent, though.  Smiley Sad    I won't ever stop having manners and being polite.   I would be ashamed of myself to act any other way.

Oh, and I'm glad I'm not alone!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@JBKO they probably don't know any other words like "please" either.  Or "how can I help you."

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

Generational thing.

I made rolls for one elderly gal who requested them she bought me a bottle of body lotion from that place on the Mall.

I made cookies for a gal in her late 30's, nothing........... I gave her a Kitchen aid 9 speed hand mixer she never even acknowledged it. I had to ask if she liked it . "Yeah, it's OK". Guess she never used it. LOL

Then, I gave her baby a pair of white gold earrings that I had bought online

and didn't realize how tiny they were. She commented she would give them to her cousin. I said "I would keep them for your baby when you have her ears pierced they are GOLD".   She just acted like 'maybe'.............

No more gifts to that little gal.