That is quite an accusation to make. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Paula Deen....what happened

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@makeup addict wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:
Well, she is making people think that's how southern women may act, it's disgusting....oh well I changed the channel. It's like she is acting like a 25 year old flirty woman....it's very unattractive, she needs to stick to cooking

I'm sure it is how some southern women behave; she can't be that unique. I'm not slamming southern women, I'm equally sure northern women or Midwestern women or whoever all have less than stellar examples of womanhood in their ranks. 

It certainly appears to me that she tries to be gross at this point. She's aiming to be as outrageous as possible because her tried-and-true fans who still want to buy from her like her to be that way - probably because she's just like them.

I think she tries to act what people think the stereotypical southern is, not a real southern. Yep im southern; she gives southerns a bad name. 

It's probably fair to say she represents a certain class or type of southern women who exists, but makes most southern women cringe.

I am offended by these comments.  Southern lady through and through here.  You can find this type of "lady" anywhere in the United States with whatever speech type they have.  

@Hoovermom

I agree........such stereotyping is disgusting.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@NativeJax All that you said regarding the finger licking, then feeding camera folks and staff, and the fact that she has made herself into a caricature of the worst behavior possible on tv.  She was ripping off pieces of ham and feeding them to some guy who travels with her to do her hair.  Between that and eating pies with her fingers, wiping the bottom of the pan with her fingers -- it was just a few seconds short of a food fight and absolutely disgusting.  I emailed EVINE customer service - just couldn't believe that behavior on television; yet it continues.  Do you think she and other family members use utensils when eating at home?  I actually wonder.

Trusted Contributor

There is a difference between refined southern woman and what I saw yesterday. Just tired of people portrayed from the south as mannerless, clueless, obnoxious people...when you act like that, who can argue the stereotype?
Honored Contributor

As I've said before, I was a big fan of Paula Deen many years ago when she had her first cooking show on television.   She was calm and her voice was soothing as she explained what she was cooking in that episode.   I loved to watch that Paula, but sadly, she disappeared a long time ago.   

I just cannot watch Paula these days; she is too bold and obnoxious in front of a camera, and that behavior is embarrassing to me.   

My oldest daughter vacationed in GA last August, and met Paula, her husband, and sons at their restaurant.  The pictures from that meeting are lovely, and look like pictures taken at a family reunion.   My daughter and nephew enjoyed a nice conversation with Paula, and she was surprised to hear they were from southern WV.   The Paula they talked to and laughed with that afternoon sounded like the TV Paula I once knew.   I think that Paula still exists, but disappears when she is trying to sell products on television.   

Valued Contributor

@Hoovermom  

Totally agree.  Let's say her behaviour as a PERSON is outgrageous at times.  This has nothing to do with whether she is Southern/Northern, Polish/Irish, Pink/Purple.  Categorizing her as a misbehaved Southern woman is ludicrous.

Honored Contributor

I had to look to see if this was a years-old thread dragged up again.    She's been acting like this for quite a few years now.   

I do remember when she first started with a cooking show on the Food Network.  She was slightly annoying, but absolutely nothing like she became by the time she had that live audience one-hour show quite a few years ago, and since with tv shopping and such.

I guess if people want to watch, they'll keep doing it.  My choice - I don't watch.   She's just awful, through and through.

Honored Contributor

She had an evening show on Food Network called Paula's Party at one point and this is exactly how she acted on that show. It was very different from her personality on her cooking show where she just chatted by herself while she cooked.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NativeJax wrote:
channel surfing and she is on Evine right now. She use to have a first rate cooking show, no she acts crude, like she might be drunk??? Ewwwww

@NativeJax  nothing new with Deen... she is just her usual disgusting self.  Perhaps she could blame it on dementia.

Honored Contributor

VaBelle35 wrote:

She had an evening show on Food Network called Paula's Party at one point and this is exactly how she acted on that show. It was very different from her personality on her cooking show where she just chatted by herself while she cooked.

Oh yes.  That's the show I referenced a minute ago but couldn't remember the name of the show.  Thanks!