Super Contributor

Re: Paula Deen....what happened

I think making a blanket statement of people thinking Paula is 'typical' of most Southerners is off base. To me, she seems more like a loud-mouthed 'crazy' old aunt that speaks her mind, with no filters, that many a family has. 

I definitely think she probably has more 'freedom' now as opposed to when she was on FNW. I'm sure FNW required her to be more professional.

I have not seen her on Evine or anything really since she left FNW. I did see a couple blurb things one of her sons posted on Facebook, and she seemed her loud and boisterous self, but the clips also looked editted.

I think likely what you are seeing is the 'real' unfiltered Paula.  

Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
That's not the way people act as a "southern" woman, unless she was raised in a barn, was she? Ballark, trailer park trash....sure there's always a few bad apples 🍎

That's the vibe I pick up. If she's NOT going for that - oops!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:
Well, she is making people think that's how southern women may act, it's disgusting....oh well I changed the channel. It's like she is acting like a 25 year old flirty woman....it's very unattractive, she needs to stick to cooking

She was on a show years ago with male guests she'd rub up against and use a lot of double innuendos.  I couldn't stand to watch.

She also used to lick her fingers a lot and then handle food.  Just gross.

This is when my opinion changed regarding Paula, when I watched her on that Paula's party or whatever it was called. Flirting with all the young guys in the audience and guests such as Jason Pristley. Yuck. I suspect that is probably the more "authentic" Paula, rather than what we saw on her earlier shows.

Honored Contributor

Paula seems to have found her niche cooking on Evine with Allison (who tries to rein her in) and is happy as a clam.   With her finger licking and other habits,  she ought to be paired with Wolfgang Puck who is equally disgusting.  How about some new TV cooks with manners?   At least David and Mary are well-behaved. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

She was disgusting when she was at the Q....tasting her food and putting the fork or spoon back in the pot...taking bites and then giving the rest to the host she was working with...mostly D.V...

I have watched her on Evine a couple of times and she does the same over there....tasting her food then shoving it onto the hosts..licking her fingers...all those things we don't want to see....

The same can be said for Wolfgang Puck....he also licks his fingers ...wipes his nose with the same cloth he wipes around the dishes or pots...eats and puts the same spoon into the food...

and he sure has picked up a "salty" language to go with it ....

Respected Contributor

I never liked her. Too-too.

Respected Contributor

When she was first on tv, in a show called Door Knock Dinners ( something like that) she was completely normal. Even early days of her own show, her accent was not even so dramatic, much like her handsome sons. Now she pours it on, a caricature of herself. Bawdy, ridiculous, embarrassing...makes one wonder if she is in control of herself or thinks she has to be this way. Either way, sad situation if she feels pressure to be this way to make money or can no longer help it mentally. 

Esteemed Contributor

Paula Deen is a train wreck.

Honored Contributor

@daisyk wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:
Well, she is making people think that's how southern women may act, it's disgusting....oh well I changed the channel. It's like she is acting like a 25 year old flirty woman....it's very unattractive, she needs to stick to cooking

She was on a show years ago with male guests she'd rub up against and use a lot of double innuendos.  I couldn't stand to watch.

She also used to lick her fingers a lot and then handle food.  Just gross.

This is when my opinion changed regarding Paula, when I watched her on that Paula's party or whatever it was called. Flirting with all the young guys in the audience and guests such as Jason Pristley. Yuck. I suspect that is probably the more "authentic" Paula, rather than what we saw on her earlier shows.

@daisyk I couldn't agree more, my mom and I used to watch Paula on the FN but couldn't believe our eyes when we watched the first episode of that show and it got worse from there and it's just never been the same.  She really ramped it up and you can Google South Beach Food and Wine and see pictures of her that made me cringe.  Not for me so much but for heavens sake there are kids in that audience . . . Smiley Sad

She was rather subdued when she first joined Evine after being off the air for a long time but now she is back to her old ways.  It's a shame as she has some nice products but I have a tough time watching and listening to her.  I feel sorry for her son that is on with her during this visit.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@makeup addict wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:

I'm sure it is how some southern women behave; she can't be that unique. I'm not slamming southern women, I'm equally sure northern women or Midwestern women or whoever all have less than stellar examples of womanhood in their ranks. 

It certainly appears to me that she tries to be gross at this point. She's aiming to be as outrageous as possible because her tried-and-true fans who still want to buy from her like her to be that way - probably because she's just like them.

I think she tries to act what people think the stereotypical southern is, not a real southern. Yep im southern; she gives southerns a bad name. 

It's probably fair to say she represents a certain class or type of southern women who exists, but makes most southern women cringe.

I am offended by these comments.  Southern lady through and through here.  You can find this type of "lady" anywhere in the United States with whatever speech type they have.