Respected Contributor

Re: Paltry Social Security COLA Increase Announced For 2017

[ Edited ]

Hi, cherry,    Getting back up to speed with this thread. 

I agree that we did work for any benefits and could have gotten a better return if the money had been invested.  But I didn't know how to invest and was overwhelmed with debt and finances as a young person. I would never have invested the money I regarded as "stolen" out of my paycheck!  

When I started working at 16, I would _never_ have put anything into savings of the tiny amounts I was paid.  I think I started retirement savings on my own at around age 40, and they weren't huge.

As a woman living alone there have been times when if _I_ could have "raided" my social security, I would have had to.  I couldn't raid social security, though, so I devised other solutions.

So I am grateful that Uncle Sam planted necessity in front of me or I would not have enough to live on in retirement. 

For quite a while I have also been contributing to an IRA, but to have the steady record of employment rewarded (I have always worked a job or two) means I am a step up despite student loans, hurricanes, financial crises, homeowner crises, and most recently the Great Recession and a lightning strike to my a/c unit. 

Social Security insurance is not enough to live on any more, I do agree.  But it required me to think about the future even when I was struggling to pay off my student loans, which took 10 years. Medical bills from my twenties that were larger than the student loans.  Goodness, when I got my first car, I could not believe how much it took to keep a car going.

Social Security will not cover all increases in COL over the years.  They instead, at least for me, insured I would have something even if everything else went totally haywire.  Everything else, including the Stock Market does seem to go haywire regularly, so this government program is insurance I appreciate.  Much more than when I was younger. 

It truly is insurance--and it is not an annuity or a promise backed by a company that could go bankrupt in 2 months.  That "security" is what is valuable, not the return on contributions.  I am glad I was forced to pay into the system and that it was inexorably deducted from my pay, though as a perpetual student, I bought my first real winter coat (and I lived in NYC) six years after I had been living and working on my own. The first thing I would have raided Social Security for would have been a winter coat.  I made do with my mother's WW II nurse's cape.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite I admire you more than I can say. You have such strength of character, and are always an inspiration to me

You have over come a great deal. I hope your retirement is a golden one

Super Contributor

@Burnsite, I totally agree! When you are young and poor, it seems basically 'impossible' to save, when there are soooo many things pulling on your money, things that are the bare necessities of life. I'm glad for the 'forced' savings.

Honored Contributor

So for all who are whining and complaining about the "paltry" COLA raise -how much do you think you should have gotten, and where do you think the money should come from?

Honored Contributor

I just googled "how many Americans are currently receiving social security?" and the answer was 60 million. So for every $1 raise the government has to come up with 60 million dollars - our "paltry" $5 raise will cost 3 billion dollars a month.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nyc1

True.

But it's not just "older people", as is almost always assumed.

Those receiving Social Security Disability Insurance are between the ages of 18 and 59.

Most of them have also worked and paid into Social Security.

As already mentioned, dependent children of parents who have passed can also receive Social Security.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I just googled "how many Americans are currently receiving social security?" and the answer was 60 million. So for every $1 raise the government has to come up with 60 million dollars - our "paltry" $5 raise will cost 3 billion dollars a month.

Which is a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to how government... federal, state and local... spends most of our 'contributions'... It is what it is and the COLA is a freakin' pittance.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Which is a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to how government... federal, state and local... spends most of our 'contributions'... It is what it is and the COLA is a freakin' pittance.

So I'm interested in how much YOU think you should have gotten and where do you think that money would come from when multiplied by 60 million.

Honored Contributor

The cost of living increase for Social Security recipients for next year will be a measly 0.03 percent, or an average of $5 a month. And, to add insult to injury, new Medicare recipients will pay $149 a month, compared to the current recipients who pay $104.90 and will see a "small increase." 

Here's the link to a brief article which explains it in more detail:

http://usat.ly/2ep3rvC

ETA: The two additional articles highlighted in blue under "more coverage" are also a worthwhile read.

~Sic friat crustulum...~

wrong, it was 104, raised to 120 or 121 I doubt if they will raise it again just raised it few months ago. Hubbo pays it.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@lovestopaint wrote:

Not happy.

I think you know what to do.

What?  Get a part time  job....

Oh yea, at 85 with crippling arthritis and other health issues, a part time job was just what my mom had in mind... I tell you, some people around here demonstrate time after time that they're just all heart...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...