Respected Contributor

Re: Paltry Social Security COLA Increase Announced For 2017

@Maudelyn wrote:

Increase the social security payroll tax cap.  MIllionaires and billionaires pay no social security tax on any earned income over $118,500.  That needs to end. Those who can well afford to contribute to the system that helped create their wealth need to pay more.

While I agree w/you on this point (my FIL was a millionaire taking SS) the loopholes are still open and viable for the wealthy to avoid paying over the 118G.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 Then you would have to also eliminate the cap on how much a person can be paid out from SS.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@terrier3 Then you would have to also eliminate the cap on how much a person can be paid out from SS.

It can be descending benefits, based on income as well.

Easy solution.

Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Easy solution.

Then it becomes more of a welfare system than it currently is.  And for those who object to the term, clearly if what people had paid in were sufficient to pay their benefits, we wouldn't be having this problem.  And before people tell me about the trust fund being used for other purposes, it is clear that most people collect more than they paid in so even without that, there still wouldn't be enough.

You want to say millionaires should pay SS on their entire income - and collect nothing - as they "don't need it."

Hey why not make everyone pay SS - even those in government systems that have pensions and where people don't currently pay - or eventually collect - SS?  I mean shouldn't they have to contribute to the general welfare as well?

And what about Medicare?  Next year we will have the folks who don't collect SS paying almost 50% more in Medicare to "make up" for those who are "held harmless" by either no or a low SS COLA.  How is that "fair?"  Actually, next year this will also include those new to Medicare - even if they pay it through SS.  Now we are including the poor people getting minimal SS paying 50% more for Medicare than those on SS making much more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Saying that SS is a welfare program is wrong...but at least it shows where your sympathies lie.

It's an entitlement - something that all civilized, prosperous countries provide for their citizens.

We support society in many ways while we are working...education, safe roads and bridges, fire and police, clean drinking water and safe food.

SS is our pension for being productive, contributing citizens for 40-50 years or so.

And no, I don't receive SS...but look forward to the day!

Re: Medicare - lots of us would prefer single payer for all. This program was cobbled together to stop discrimination by private insurance companies against seniors (who tend to need more medical care). If everyone had skin in the game - the risks would be pooled over young and old - healthy and sick - and costs would be lower for all.

Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Easy solution.

Richer people pay more for Medicare. 

Esteemed Contributor

Today, I received my SS statement showing the increase in both medicare and my COLA raise. I was very angry because this means we have not received an increase in two years. I will be receiving the same amount. I think this is tragic and they have money to spend 2 million dollars to do research on sneezing on food. Have you ever heard of such a thing!!. There is much more but it is political and I can not post. I think they are doing an injustice.

Respected Contributor

I'm getting the same amount as last year.  My Medicare Part B went from $104.90 to $110.00.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

....plus income tax is paid on your S.S.....wasn't tax paid on it at the time is was earned.......we are taxed to death.

Honored Contributor

We about broke even, so I am grateful