Respected Contributor

Re: Over $259,000 in just 7 hours from almost 8,000 donations.

He sustained serious injuries including 2 broken legs.

Trusted Contributor

Chris Mintz's GoFundMe account is about to hit a half million dollars.  All in 14 hours raised by 15,000 donors.  Guess we needed a hero!  

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Esteemed Contributor

Well deserved, and I predict it will go to 1 million!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Thanks for this thread, @MrsSweetieBear.

~~~~~~

"...In the evening, Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin held a press conference. Hanlin said he would leave it to the coroner’s office to identify the killer.

“I will not give him the credit he probably sought,” Hanlin said of the killer. “You will never hear me use his name.”

The coroner will be obliged to issue an official identification, and news organizations will be obliged to report it.

But if you hear it, forget that Chris in that very instant.

Think of Chris Mintz, who was shot while rushing a killer on his son’s sixth birthday.

Forget the zero and remember the hero.

Also remember those two brave cops and the others who showed uncommon courage.

And honor the memory of the murdered innocents, who leave us with an obligation to do something to stop this madness.

As no amount of murder seems likely to result in real gun control any time soon, we can begin by reserving the limelight only for those who save lives and for those whose lives are taken.

Forget the zeroes and remember the heroes."

(from http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/02/forget-oregon-s-gunman-remember-the-hero-who-charge...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

That was a wonderful thing to do but what about the other survivors ?

One girl lost a kidney and all will most certainly suffer the effects of PTSD and will need support and therapy.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

Thanks for this thread, @MrsSweetieBear.

~~~~~~

"...In the evening, Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin held a press conference. Hanlin said he would leave it to the coroner’s office to identify the killer.

“I will not give him the credit he probably sought,” Hanlin said of the killer. “You will never hear me use his name.”

The coroner will be obliged to issue an official identification, and news organizations will be obliged to report it.

But if you hear it, forget that Chris in that very instant.

Think of Chris Mintz, who was shot while rushing a killer on his son’s sixth birthday.

Forget the zero and remember the hero.

Also remember those two brave cops and the others who showed uncommon courage.

And honor the memory of the murdered innocents, who leave us with an obligation to do something to stop this madness.

As no amount of murder seems likely to result in real gun control any time soon, we can begin by reserving the limelight only for those who save lives and for those whose lives are taken.

Forget the zeroes and remember the heroes."

(from http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/02/forget-oregon-s-gunman-remember-the-hero-who-charge...

@NoelSeven, thought you might find this interesting.

I underlined the paragraph starting with, "And honor the memory."  Here is a story mentioning the Sheriff's letter sent to Vice Pres. Joe Biden after Sandyhook.  Kind of ironic.

Edited to add:  

“Gun control is NOT the answer to preventing heinous crimes like school shootings,” he wrote, adding that efforts to restrict gun ownership “would be irresponsible and an indisputable insult to the American people.”

The sheriff also warned the vice president that “any federal regulation enacted by Congress or by executive order of the president offending the constitutional rights of my citizens shall not be enforced by me or by my deputies, nor will I permit the enforcement of any unconstitutional regulations or orders by federal officers within the borders of Douglas County Oregon.”

Three days before that letter was released, Mr. Hanlin shared a link on his personal Facebook page to a YouTube video, which suggested that the shootings at Sandy Hook — and the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 — might have been staged by the federal government to provide a pretext for “disarming the public” through gun control legislation. In a comment imploring his Facebook friends to watch that video, whose producer claims that the parents of children “allegedly shot” at Sandy Hook were actors, the sheriff wrote, “This makes me wonder who we can trust anymore.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/us/oregon-sheriff-shared-sandy-hook-conspiracy-theory-on-facebook....