Valued Contributor

Opinions please on bizzare situation.

Last Christmas one of my girlfriends in Italy sent me a small package with 2 necklaces she made for my daughters.I found that package outside my front door,same way I get my Hsn,Sephora and Qvc boxes.Last week she recieved a priority envelope (same ones available at any U.S.post office).Inside she found only a check for $ 2.900 addressed to a man in a different State than mine.The person who wrote the check is from another State altogether.There is no address on the envelope.Someone glued the return receipt my friend requested when she sent me the package back in December.So my address is on the left corner and hers is on the right cause the return reciept should have gone back to her.She immediately texted me the pictures of the envelope and check.I replied that I would go to my local post office.I asked for a manager and explained the situation.He said my friend should send me everthing so I could give everthing to him and he would deal with it.My friend aggreed to this initially.In the meantime she went to her local post office and police station.She texted me that in both places she had to fight with them cause they didn't want to help her.Then she texted briefly that she would give the documents to her police station and they would send it to the nearest U.S.embassy.I replied I didn't want to be involved in any way and to send it to me.She answered that it is about money and she had to do it.I haven't heard from her after that.We have been friends for 40 years so I doubt she woud intentionally put me in danger.She probably is trying to protect herself.The return reciept has a scribble on the line where I should have signed.Should I be worried?Why would someone send a check that way?Should I go back to my post office and tell the manager that she sent the check to her police station?My guess is the return receipt got lost and someone used it.Can I prove it ?Thank you to everyone who can give any advice.

Super Contributor

Re: Opinions please on bizzare situation.

Ok....I'm not sure I'm completely understanding this. But is all this angst over a check for 2 bucks? Or is it $2900?  Why not just send the check back to the guy who wrote it?  I assume his address is on the check.

It's weird that your name would be on the return address for sure.....but I don't see why you should be worried. 

What am I missing here?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@emma bunting wrote:

Ok....I'm not sure I'm completely understanding this. But is all this angst over a check for 2 bucks? Or is it $2900?  Why not just send the check back to the guy who wrote it?  I assume his address is on the check.

It's weird that your name would be on the return address for sure.....but I don't see why you should be worried. 

What am I missing here?

Same here.  I'd like to help, but not following.  I'd throw everything away and not spend another minute thinking about it if this is a $2.90 issue.

Honored Contributor

@emma bunting wrote:

What am I missing here?

Same here the story  is very confusing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Maybe I am missing something but none of this is making any sense to me.  You said you don't want to be involved but asked her to send everything to you.  I understand it shows your address but again I must be missing something because I don't see how this puts you in danger?  

Honored Contributor

I don't understand exactly what is going on either. 

Does she know the name on the check? And why would she get a check addressed to 'a different man'? 

Sorry original post is just too confusing.

But I'd be worried if some piece of a mailing that came to  me was now in someone else's hands, but I just don't get it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@emma bunting wrote:

What am I missing here?

I'm a little confused too. I was not able to follow the original post.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bibione wrote:

Last Christmas one of my girlfriends in Italy sent me a small package with 2 necklaces she made for my daughters.I found that package outside my front door,same way I get my Hsn,Sephora and Qvc boxes.Last week she recieved a priority envelope (same ones available at any U.S.post office).Inside she found only a check for $ 2.900 addressed to a man in a different State than mine.The person who wrote the check is from another State altogether.There is no address on the envelope.Someone glued the return receipt my friend requested when she sent me the package back in December.So my address is on the left corner and hers is on the right cause the return reciept should have gone back to her.She immediately texted me the pictures of the envelope and check.I replied that I would go to my local post office.I asked for a manager and explained the situation.He said my friend should send me everthing so I could give everthing to him and he would deal with it.My friend aggreed to this initially.In the meantime she went to her local post office and police station.She texted me that in both places she had to fight with them cause they didn't want to help her.Then she texted briefly that she would give the documents to her police station and they would send it to the nearest U.S.embassy.I replied I didn't want to be involved in any way and to send it to me.She answered that it is about money and she had to do it.I haven't heard from her after that.We have been friends for 40 years so I doubt she woud intentionally put me in danger.She probably is trying to protect herself.The return reciept has a scribble on the line where I should have signed.Should I be worried?Why would someone send a check that way?Should I go back to my post office and tell the manager that she sent the check to her police station?My guess is the return receipt got lost and someone used it.Can I prove it ?Thank you to everyone who can give any advice.

I have no advice but agree, incredibly bizarre situation.  Why are you worried?  If it is because you think someone has your address, I wouldn't worry about that.  If you're worried about maybe it is some kind of illegal fund transfer, the fact that she turned it over to the police and your name is neither the name issuing/signing the check nor the person to receive the money, and that she turned it over to the police, I think you are both covered there.  If you would feel better, by all means go tell the PO manager.  Did s/he seem alarmed by your story and eager for the info or more like s/he was giving you lip service?  Based on his/her reaction when you initially reported it would determine whether I would bother going back with a follow-up.

Honored Contributor

Have no idea how much money that is - a little or a lot? If not much (under $25) I would forget all about it.

The USPS lists a phone # and online info as to how to report suspicion of mail fraud. If you're concerned because your name and address are involved, discuss with them or report it that way, sending your copies if requested.

I suspect that whatever occurs in Italy it will not be much, but that can't be your problem to worry about and you have no control over it or what your friend does about it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I'm a bit confused by the details but if I understand correctly your friend's return receipt was glued onto the front of a priority mail envelope that actually should have gone to someone else?