Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions please on bizzare situation.

@ValuSkr wrote:

A lot of people want to help - myself included - but they don't understand what you're saying.  Maybe you can restate the story, using paragraphs and is it $2,900 or $2.90?

And dollars or lira?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

A lot of people want to help - myself included - but they don't understand what you're saying.  Maybe you can restate the story, using paragraphs and is it $2,900 or $2.90?

And dollars or lira?

No lira anymore. It's Euros which are worth more than USD.

Honored Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

And dollars or lira?

No lira anymore. It's Euros which are worth more than USD.

Is the UK the only European country that doesn't do Euros?

Respected Contributor

You are totally overreacting.  You have nothing at all to do with this. Your name is not on the check, you did not issue ot or send it---the check is a "negotiable Insturment" between the bank and the issuer and it has nothing at all to do with you---your friend in Italy is also overreacting---should have just torn it all up. Chill! I'm an attorney.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Valued Contributor

My friend texted again later.She went to the police, but they were busy with a missing person so she has to go back.I agree with her  that the $ 2,900 check should be sent back to the States through the Embassy.

Thank you all for your helpful comments.Whoever issued and lost the check will be surprised it ended up at the other side of the world.

Respected Contributor

I'm not getting any of this...........there is a check, that went to the wrong person.......if the check was NOT cashed, then there is no crime...........if the check was not meant for you, send it back to the person who wrote the check registered mail, return receipt requested and have a cup of tea...........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

I'm not getting any of this...........there is a check, that went to the wrong person.......if the check was NOT cashed, then there is no crime...........if the check was not meant for you, send it back to the person who wrote the check registered mail, return receipt requested and have a cup of tea...........................................raven

Absolutely.  I totally agree.

I'm a big worrier, but I don't get all the angst about this.  Why does the embassy have to be involved?!  Maybe I'm missing a big piece of this story, but a lot of it doesn't make sense.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bibione wrote:

My friend texted again later.She went to the police, but they were busy with a missing person so she has to go back.I agree with her  that the $ 2,900 check should be sent back to the States through the Embassy.

Thank you all for your helpful comments.Whoever issued and lost the check will be surprised it ended up at the other side of the world.

The entire police department was busy with a missing person case?  No one was available for anything else?  That seems very odd to me.  I'm not saying I'm doubting your friend, just that so much about this is really confusing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Bibione wrote:

The entire police department was busy with a missing person case?  No one was available for anything else?  That seems very odd to me.  I'm not saying I'm doubting your friend, just that so much about this is really confusing.

Well, we don't know the size of the town ;-)

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Bibione wrote:

Well, we don't know the size of the town ;-)

Yes, I know, but it still seems a little unlikely to me that they would tell someone to come back.  At the very least it seems they would tell her that they would get in touch with her the next day or maybe give her a phone number for someone who would be able to help her.

Did they actually say, "Sorry, we're busy.  You'll have to come back"?  And what if they're busy again the next time she goes?  I can't imagine a police department operating that way.  They deal with emergencies all the time.  Certainly they have  procedures in place for something they consider low-priority.  It makes no sense to me that every single officer and every single clerical person was immersed in a missing person case.  What would they do if there was more than one emergency at a time?

This whole thing is so confusing.  I'm not sure why I'm trying to make any sense out of it!  :-)