Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ontario Banning Pit Bulls

How foolish to compare a Yorkie, Poodle, or whatever.  Pit Bulls, when their jaws grab on to you, they will not let go until they kill.  Why is that so hard to comprehend.  It's called "genetic memory" - it's really in their DNA.  I'll take a Yorkie biting on my ankle any day of the week.

Pit Bulls are banned in Miami, Fl - I'm sure there is a good reason for it.

Honored Contributor

Our neighbor has a rescue pit bull.  He must only let him out when no one is around for the only time we've seen him is when riding in the truck. 

I know our same neighbor was scared of our golden retreiver mix and I always had him leashed when we went to the mailbox. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Long Way Home Pit Bull Rescue

It is with heavy hearts that we must inform you that the BSL ban in Montreal has passed with a 37-23 vote win.

This means that any animal identified as a pit bull - defined as an American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier or any mix of these or any dog that has morphological characteristics of these breeds such as "large heads" - (based solely on appearance unless a formal DNA test says otherwise) not currently owned (such as strays or in shelters) will be euthanized. Additionally, the council voted to leave it open to boroughs to add in additional dog breeds as they see fit, without a vote needed. Veterinarians can opt out of euthanizing a healthy, social animal but must provide an honest effort in aiding in the search to find a veterinarian who will euthanize.

Any pit bull currently owned must have a $150 registration fee on file, and must be muzzled and on a leash no longer than 1.25 meters (~4 feet) any time they leave the premises of their home. They are also required to be sterilized, fully vaccinated, and microchipped with up to date & accurate registrations. If these regulations are not followed, then that animal is subject to be seized and euthanized as well.

Folks, this ban was passed based on fear - not science. Many professionals spoke at the council meeting on behalf of the Bully breed with scientific facts & statistics, but the ban passed regardless because of the fear of potential attacks & bites. BSL can happen anywhere... and it can happen *fast.* LWHPBR is a Texas based nonprofit that always strives to provide positive pit bull publicity and adopts out social, healthy pit bulls - all ambassadors of their breed.

We are saddened to hear of this ban and our hearts are with the Bully Breed and their owners in Montreal today 🐾💜

Artwork by JS_Luvs Art

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/14517600_1186415771432932_4792640134470768718_n.jpg?oh=63f5a6722c7d71ed174998b43f222afd&oe=587F10A2

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Our HOA rules do not allow pit bulls or mixed breed pit bulls, rotweillers, german shepards, dobermans or mixes containing any of those breeds. Before a home is purchased there this is made very clear to the potential buyers, and they sign a paper saying they will understand this. Some seasonal renters did come in with a pit bull and were given 30 days to get rid of the dog or leave - they left.

However, the only dog who ever bit anyone was a ******zu, and he bit 3 different people who were doing nothing but walking down the sidewalk.Finally the 3rd person bit registered a complaint with the county and the dog was removed from the home. The owner got another dog she had no control over and she was asked by the HOA to get rid of the dog or move - she sold her house and moved to an apartment, where I'm sure the neighbors will soon be complining about this out of control dog very shortly.

Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

How foolish to compare a Yorkie, Poodle, or whatever.  Pit Bulls, when their jaws grab on to you, they will not let go until they kill.  Why is that so hard to comprehend.  It's called "genetic memory" - it's really in their DNA.  I'll take a Yorkie biting on my ankle any day of the week.

Not true, yet why bother to try and explain.  Knowledge is power.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Our HOA rules do not allow pit bulls or mixed breed pit bulls, rotweillers, german shepards, dobermans or mixes containing any of those breeds. Before a home is purchased there this is made very clear to the potential buyers, and they sign a paper saying they will understand this. Some seasonal renters did come in with a pit bull and were given 30 days to get rid of the dog or leave - they left.

However, the only dog who ever bit anyone was a ******zu, and he bit 3 different people who were doing nothing but walking down the sidewalk.Finally the 3rd person bit registered a complaint with the county and the dog was removed from the home. The owner got another dog she had no control over and she was asked by the HOA to get rid of the dog or move - she sold her house and moved to an apartment, where I'm sure the neighbors will soon be complining about this out of control dog very shortly.

Small dogs are much more likely to bite, however people hesitate to report them.  Thus these "bite statistics" are skewed.  Temperament and training has much more to do with the probability's that a dog will bite, however unless all bites are reported, only large breed dogs will be considered dangerous.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I think it's very unfortunate that all Pitt bulls must suffer for the sins of a few.  Why don't they ban rottweilers and dobermans too?  Any dog can become aggressive if it's teased or mistreated.  

I have  sheltie rescue that won't let me touch him with a brush.  He's nailed me a couple times when I tried.  I learned that he was previously owned by a family with two little girls.  I'm betting they pulled his hair and/or hit him with a brush.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

Not true, yet why bother to try and explain.  Knowledge is power.

Pit bulls are banned in Denver too.  I have no idea if the reason is good or not.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I love dogs. I've always had one. But I simply do not trust pit bulls. I don't care whether it's their owners' fault or their DNA. I care that when they attack, they don't let up. They maim and kill.

I am well aware that there are pit bulls that are as gentle as can be. I'm glad, and that's fine for that family, and I hope it remains that way. But if I were to see an unleashed pit bull (fortunately, I live in a dog-centric little beach town where everybody leashes up), I would be more fearful than if I saw just about any other breed.

I have no opinion one way or the other about a ban. If there is one, it should be crafted carefully. More important, I think people who are not responsible pit bull owners should be heavily fined if they violate the law and tracked for future violations of local statutes regarding dog and public safety.

If that's a nanny state thing, I don't care. I believe that government should have a strong role when it comes to the public's health and safety.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding "Pit Bulls"...True Story

This just happened this Summer two days before July 4th Holiday.

I was in my kitchen with all the windows closed (double pained) and air conditioning going. I hear this blood curlding screams of a woman screaming and yelling "Help...Help"!

I yelled for my husband..."Hurry come downstairs".  He comes running into the kitchen...He goes, "OMG where is that coming from"?  I go, "I don't know"?  

We go outside onto our Patio in our back yard and all we hear is some woman screaming at the top of her lungs help.  We have 8 Foot fence around our back yard so we didn't know exactly were it was coming.  All of a sudden, we see our next door neighbor standing up on a chair looking over his fence and yelling over the fences..."Try to kick the dog into the pool".  The womens screams and crys were blood curlding, horrible!

I ran into the home and called 911. "Stated a women was being attacked by her own Pit Bull.  I also called "Animal Control".  They reported that they already received -1- other call regarding this and Emergency personal was on it's way. 

Apparently she was able to kick the dog into the pool and he released his grip.  

I found out from a different neighbor that this woman was admitted to the hospital but was still alive.  

Animal control came and took the Pit Bull.  Apparently there was another report of an attack regarding the same dog (Pit Bull) from a previous address where they had lived before.

It was the most terrifing thing...Hearing these crys for help but not knowing where they are coming from.  It was horrible!