Honored Contributor

Re: Ontario Banning Pit Bulls

Yeah, like that's gonna solve anything.  The fact is the pit bulls that attack people are not the problem, it's irresponsible owners who do not control their dogs and do not understand the termpermants of  their dogs.  So, who thinks irrespeonsible dog owners are going to refrain from buy a pit bull just because there ordinace banning them?  Actually, I think that my make those dogs even more disireable for some.  And who job will it be to enforce or even monitor those who the permits???? How would that work?   It's a feel good regulation.  All bark, no bite.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree I totally agree. Is a knee jerk feel-good NANNY State response very similar to those who think if "long guns" are banned or cannabis smoking illegal that somehow criminals/people wont own them or people wont smoke use pot...Yea right will make owning pit bulls or anything even more intriging just like the parallel mentioned. Seems the owners of dangerous/or not dangerous whatever are excluded from the true responsbility and is an excuse to punish those who are responsible owners/doers of anything (pit bulls, firearms, knives, pressure cookers) Hey we need to ban cars while we are at it .....and those darn pressure cookers.....SIGH

How about making a law thatif ANY dog mauls/kills someone the owner pays in full? Seems more logical and brings back some sense of personal responsibilty.

Honored Contributor

It isn't only that pit bulls seem to be unstable but also that they are so strong and powerful that when they get it in their head to bite it's never just a bite but instead becomes a mauling because it is so difficult to get them off whomever they are attacking. 

We had weimarners and they are a big dog with big teeth but I know with both our dogs if I needed to I could pull their mouth open -because I had to do so a few times for the vet to work on their teeth. I believe with pits that is not possible, they are just too strong.

Honored Contributor

Dogs aren't anything like guns and there are a lot of strong dogs around.  That attribute is certainly not limited to Pit Bulls.

Esteemed Contributor

Many, many little toddlers and babies have been killed by the family pet, a pit bull.

I always thought "it's the owner" until I started researching pit bulls out of curiosity. As a dog lover, you don't want to believe it is the pit bull's temperament but it is - it's in their DNA. It's genetics. I would never own a pit bull.

Once they clamp onto a person they are virtually impossible to get off. Once they get hold of you, kicking them, hitting them, to get them to release just gets their adrenaline flowing.

It's in their genetic code. Why take the chance? With so many different breeds of dogs, it makes me wonder exactly why a person would insist on owning a pit bull although I understand they are popular with drug dealers for obvious reasons.......

Honored Contributor

Bully breeds used to be dogs with a great temperament.  Unfortunately,   A certain segment of society who needed protection for their illegal drugs used pit bulls.  

These drug thugs also bred these dogs to be very mean and protective.  No one with common sense would breed a dog with a bad temperament, but these dogs were bred to other bad temperament dogs for generations.  Because of this, many of these dogs are mean and can't be controlled.  They are strong with a strong instinct to attack.

Bully breeds have always had the reputation for chasing and killing smaller animals, but now humans are targets as well. Thugs have ruined this breed.

My husband had to kill two pit bulls who got into our yard a few years ago.  These dogs were kept in their owners yard, with a three foot chair link enclosing it.  They jumped the fence and injured a neighbors dog and everyone would avoid walking near that property.

For whatever reason, they must have jumped the fence and ran into our yard giving me and my two Cavalier King Charles a difficult time.  I am not afraid of dogs, but I knew these dogs were going to hurt us.  My husband heard me screaming and tried to chase the dogs with a broom.  When they lunged at him, he shot both of them to death.

It was an awful experience.  The stupid pit bull owners, promptly replaced their dogs with two more. These two charge the fence, but I they never got out... yet.

My niece owns a pug and a pit.  Her pit is so sweet and a bit of a timid dog.  I know all pits are not mean killers, but too many are.  It is very sad.

It is not unusual for cities, hotels, campgrounds, dog parks, etc to ban this breed along with a few others.  They do it for safety reasons and for insurance purposes.

Trusted Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow Hi I think same was said years ago with Rottys, dobies and especially Akitas. I personally do not want to own a Pit Bull (just dont care for the breed) but I think in this country we have gone through periods of a breed being considered "In Vogue" Chic of the decade. LOL I remember after the Movie 101 Dalmations" everyone wanted a Dalmation and 100's were turned into the pound after holidays when people discovered their gifted wants were indeed not like the ones displayed in the movie and actually can have a bad terperment. Then in the 70's was chic to own a Dobbie and Sheperd and we went through that phase. Now is the pit bull or Rottie and not exclusive to drug dealers but anyone who wants to follow the herd  (I dont understand) people buy whatever is the "Dog in vogue"........LOL Dont ask me why people do this....I couldnt answer that even if I tried LOL

Trusted Contributor

yea you are right...the bad breeding has given many dogs a bad rap sheet.

Esteemed Contributor

As poorly as laws I've seen written banning pitts and other breeds the one from Montreal is the absolute worst.

Under the legislation, all dog breeds with certain body types or square heads could be regarded as a pit bull, including American pit bull terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers or any mix containing the breeds. ( http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/montreal-passes-controversial-pit-bull-ban-article-1.2810041 )

The prohibition could also include Mastiffs and Mastiff off shoots (of which there are dozens) and even Boston Terriers, French Bulldogs and dozens of small lap dogs.   Perhaps unintended consequences but within the language of the law many breeds and mixes could potentially be illegal.

A lawsuit has already be filed to suspend the law due to vagueness.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Marp WOW that is very vague....could be any dog they deem worthy of their scrutiny. eh?? Now that is some law open for interpretation and bias!!

LOL a little story when I worked at a Kennel I took care of literally thousands of different dogs and the ONLY one which ever bit me  (on my ankles of course) was a Yorkshire Terrier. Dang dog held on and scared the stuffing outa me. LOL Did I want him banned? No of course not I was screaming for Cesar Milan though hahahaha!