Honored Contributor

Re: One of my cats made a hiding place inside a sofa

I just posted about this "trick" last Friday when we let one of the rescue kitties out for the first time. {#emotions_dlg.glare} He is staying in the guest room and she is staying in the master BR. She has to be quarantined for another week because of a catfight at the rescue organization (unbeknownst to us) which led to an abscess (now a scab). He has been banging at the door for liberation, so when we decided to bring him into the "open floor plan" for a little special treat, he darted under the sofa. We peeked under and saw him, and then after about 30 minutes we didn't see him. He had climbed up into the leather sofa, which when we flipped it over, discovered a ZIPPER for the lining underneath that was open! The zipper is now closed (I never even knew there was one in the first place) and last night he escaped as the warden opened the door only to run downstairs and dart under the sofa. He is very outgoing and cuddly, but since he doesn't recognize the furniture and smells downstairs, he gets weirded out quickly. I have a snow day today, so I thought I might bring him out for a bit, but with people shoveling and the plow going by, I know he's going to get freaked out. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

Re: One of my cats made a hiding place inside a sofa

On 2/10/2014 Predsfan said:
On 2/10/2014 ROMARY said:

Be careful with recliner chairs. Cats can be in real danger under there. Just a bit of a warning for other posters and their children, etc.

I finally broke my cat from that when she got caught in there for a few hours. She keep pawing to get out and I kept an eye on her. When she stopped pawing, I opened it up. She didn't try that "trick" again.
Yes, it was mean of me to do, but it worked and she was watched and ok.

So glad your cat was o.k. and wasn't injured. The only way to safely get cats out is to have someone help and carefully lift the front end of the entire recliner. Cat should be safe underneath and easy to take out. Using the handle and/or knob on the side is very dangerous. Good luck always to you and your pets.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).