Honored Contributor

Re: One More QVC Mess I Just Discovered!

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@dooBdoo That's a good idea (about QVC tech).  It did come from FB.   I sat with Customer Service and one by one had them remove all of these people from my QVC addresses.  She was like, "What about Dr So and So"?  I said, "Delete, I've never sent him anything, I don't know his address ".  

It was exactly the same as what came from my cell phone (which had everyone from FB).  These were friends I went to school with, but I only read about on FB!  I didn't know their home phone numbers, etc.

It does have something to do with sync.  I just wanted the apps to be on all of my IPADs, my cell phone, all of my apple devices.  I wouldn't have thought it was possible for my cellphone to copy everything (and I mean everything) from FB!

I'm glad you're going to send an email to the Q Team, @Annabellethecat66.    You said in another post that you'd wait a week or two...  really, if you want them to troubleshoot a problem the sooner you notify them the better.

Regarding the addresses...  you have access online to the "Address Book" in your account.   You can review it and edit it yourself whenever you want  -- you don't need to call QVC and ask them to do it for you.   Since you've been having so many problems, your best bet is to check your account online frequently to be sure everything looks normal.   Best of luck to you, and I  hope you'll let us know what the Q finds out about how all those names/addresses ended up in your account.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue,  GMTA! 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Still i dont see how this happens.  You are saying that QVC snatched your facebook friends list?  How?  But you said they had your doctors names and addresses.  You have your doctors as facebook friends?  But more than anything Facebook doesnt have street addresses so how did they get them?  Puzzled.  🙄

@Shawnie,  Facebook does allow all sorts of detailed info in the "Contact and Basic Info" section, including street addresses.   Many "friends" or "liked pages" such as doctors or medical groups will have that info available on Facebook.   I can see how she transferred the info from Facebook to her phone (or from the phone to Facebook, for that matter), but not how QVC accessed it and placed it in her account address book.

I get that a person can include that info, but most dont.  So  QVC snatched her liked pages?  I just dont get it.  Synching yes i get, but not why she had theses names and addresses on FB and how QVC snatched them.  Sommething is missing here.  Also 

Esteemed Contributor

I just find that it is easier for me to check my own account.

Heck, it isn't that hard to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie wrote:

I get that a person can include that info, but most dont.  So  QVC snatched her liked pages?  I just dont get it.  Synching yes i get, but not why she had theses names and addresses on FB and how QVC snatched them.  Sommething is missing here.  Also 

Not just the "liked" pages...   Facebook friends, too.     There's a way to sync all contacts between the phone and Facebook (and other accounts/devices, too), and it sounds like she did that.   Also, we have no way of knowing what else she synced or imported to/from other devices, accounts, or even cloud storage, so it's impossible for us to know where each of the names/addresses originated.    That's why it's really important to understand how all the importing and syncing works, and to keep up with any changes in it.    As I said before, I have no idea how any of this moved to her QVC Address Book...  and that's why (if it were my account) I'd contact QVC in writing and ask for investigation and response.  Now, rather than later.   And, of course, I'd check my account online myself, frequently -- we all need to be doing that with all our online accounts.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apps and syncing are very dangerous (in a 'data share' sort of way).

When you download an app, usually the first time you either order something from the app, or even want to save a picture, a pop-up will show up saying "Facebook (or whatever app you are using) would like access to your contacts", and you either hit "allow" or "deny"

Same with ordering via app, wants access to your contacts. Not just QVC, ordering anywhere. Only 1st time app is used for some purpose.

I always deny, but then I get stuck with not being able to do what I am trying to do. EXAMPLE: Twitter. Sometimes there is a meme or a pretty photo I like. If I try to save the photo (just because I like it), Twitter instantly says "allow Twitter access to your photo's". No way, I deny. Then it won't save it. If I "really" want it, I send it to myself via text, then open the text on my phone and save the photo by myself. No access allowed, Twitter. Just no.

Same with Facebook, I get a pop up saying "allow access to your contacts". I always deny.

And so on.....

Some people just hit "allow" because you can't go any further with whatever you want to do if you deny.

You only have to allow ONCE. Once you allow, your contact list is gone out to the Internet. If anyone thinks Facebook does not share contact lists, they are very trusting. Same with Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, all these social media apps.

It is called data mining. I don't shop via QVC's app because there is never as much information on the app as there is by going to my computer and seeing the whole webpage. I would think the Q's app probably has the same question "qvc wants to access your contacts". I have not shopped by app, but every other app I have ever used that question comes up.

It only takes ONCE, and some people just hit "allow" because they are in a hurry, distracted and don't really think it through, just get a "oh, fine...." and hit "allow". ONCE, all it takes.

Then the syncing and sharing of your contact list goes on without you even knowing it until something like what @Annabellethecat66 has encountered.

In this fast paced world, I bet most people do not even remember when the heck they might have hit "allow". Could have been moons ago, but that is how data mining works.

Hitting deny makes it a pain to have to go to my desktop and do what I want there, but I do not allow any app any access.

UNFORTUNATELY, guess what Windows 10 is? Microsoft is a HUGE data mine. There are many things on Windows 10 that you cannot even use unless you sign into a Microsoft account. And hidden within "privacy policy" is permission for them to collect info. No accept? No use. Period. Microsoft makes the rules and that is why they say "Windows 10 is the final Operating System". With Windows 10, after all the 'lead up' operating systems, they finally perfected being one giant data mine. There are billions of dollars to be made by sharing (selling) people's contact data, browsing data history, where you travel, what restaurants you visit, etc.(oh, look all the ads I am seeing on my Facebook page are all places I shop at. How did that happen?". Yea, I know how it happened.

Welcome to the new age of digital marketing and advertising. It is super tiring to keep opting out of targeted advertising. Opt out, but the minute you go back to that website, they get you again. Opt out again, round and round you go.

Almost no way around it now, except the good old fahsion way, a telephone. Even then, your info is being input to a  computer every time  you call to get info, place an order, etc. YOUR info. Not your whole conatact list. A teeny bit safer. But time consuming, and people don't have time anymore to sit through 18 prompts on a telephone to then sit on hold for 30 minutes.

Here is another example. I wanted to go to Nantucket. I looked up Natucket Chamber of Commerce. I called them on the phone to ask them to send me literature (the old fashioned way). Within a week I was seeing ads for Nantucket on my side screen ads. But at least calling by telephone, my whole contact list was not getting Nantucket ads.

Honored Contributor

After reading this thread, more than ever I am glad I do not do apps, facebook, clouds or whatever!

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Not just the "liked" pages...   Facebook friends, too.     There's a way to sync all contacts between the phone and Facebook (and other accounts/devices, too), and it sounds like she did that.   Also, we have no way of knowing what else she synced or imported to/from other devices, accounts, or even cloud storage, so it's impossible for us to know where each of the names/addresses originated.    That's why it's really important to understand how all the importing and syncing works, and to keep up with any changes in it.    As I said before, I have no idea how any of this moved to her QVC Address Book...  and that's why (if it were my account) I'd contact QVC in writing and ask for investigation and response.  Now, rather than later.   And, of course, I'd check my account online myself, frequently -- we all need to be doing that with all our online accounts.

I checked FB and i found that you can upload your contacts from your device and then select who you want to friend.  So that would account for how they got to FB for the most part.  But still dont get if that is how they got to FB why she didnt know it.  And still no clue how QVC snatched her FB info.  WHen i add addresses to my account there is no option to sync with device contact lists in either the browser or the app.

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch Yes, I've had that happen too.  HSN is terrible about that.  I've gone on their website looking for something and then I'll be on another website doing something and an add for HSN (and this item) will pop up.

No matter how hard one tries and how careful you try to be about wiping out 'cookies' they still manage to get through.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

But that is Facebook, and there is a way to turn it off on your phone, it is not QVC, the more I think about this the less likely I think that it happened or happened the way we are being told it did 

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Still i dont see how this happens.  You are saying that QVC snatched your facebook friends list?  How?  But you said they had your doctors names and addresses.  You have your doctors as facebook friends?  But more than anything Facebook doesnt have street addresses so how did they get them?  Puzzled.  🙄

@Shawnie,  Facebook does allow all sorts of detailed info in the "Contact and Basic Info" section, including street addresses.   Many "friends" or "liked pages" such as doctors or medical groups will have that info available on Facebook.   I can see how she transferred the info from Facebook to her phone (or from the phone to Facebook, for that matter), but not how QVC accessed it and placed it in her account address book.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.