Esteemed Contributor

Stay out of the room.  That is number one.  If he goes beyond that room to annoy you then you should report him.  But I would give it awhile before I do this and see if he loses his "target" and then has to move on.  

I had a similar situation.  I use FaceBook for a game that I play before I go to bed. I have friends who make attempts to "friend me" and I usually resist and avoid the contact.  Heck I have a phone and an email address, I don't have to tell all to the world.  However one friend was really after me so I agreed and she is very political which I did not want to get into.  We are on opposite sides so I finally made one pass at my opinion.  Then it started.  A friend of a friend I guess got into it and started after ME and fortunately my friend posted a message that she didn't like how he was on the attack and knocked him off and then told me to change my password.  There was an attempt to steal my name and use it posting things that were  NOT ME,  It all did stop because of her fast action. What can I say.  I have since taken just about everyone off of facebook and I do not  accept any requests.  My hubby is not even allowed to befriend me online.  

Respected Contributor

I have to say I agree with your husband.  Get out of that chat room.  He sounds like a head case and he will only become more aggressive in his attacks.  I would be freaking out if he had my name and address.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Re: On Line Harrasment

[ Edited ]

I will never do chat rooms....seems too easy to unintentionally give out too much personal information on yourself.  Even on here you can find yourself talking too much.

I see quite often where posters give out their email addresses because you feel you 'know' the poster.  I gave mine out once and turns out that's the very person that, because of some unfortunate accusations toward me, I don't interact with anymore.  We have to remember, we really don't each other.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I have to say I agree with your husband.  Get out of that chat room.  He sounds like a head case and he will only become more aggressive in his attacks.  I would be freaking out if he had my name and address.  Good luck.

I also agree with your DH. I would walk away from this chat room. All things come to an end. You have had nearly 20  years.

Respected Contributor

Stay out of the chatroom, he will move on to some poor other person. Why are the admins allowing that to happen?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have been chatting in a particular chat room since 1997, and people come and go. Recently a chatter who is a known "troll" has taken to attack me, first it was calling me name, then calling my late Mom horrible things, he has now found my name, and address, we had a friend in common on FB.

He is now broadcasting my name in the room at naseaum, i have altered the company that runs the room and have screen shots of the abusive behavior

What is my next step, my DH says stay out of the room and I really want to take it further. I know the posters real name

Thanks and please keep your negative answers out of this

Listen to your DH. I'd run as far and as fast as I could away from this source of trouble. Put your pride and ego aside -- it's always ok to walk away from lunatics. If you are absent from this chat room, he will have no target and lose interest. If you poke this troll in any way, be prepared for the consequences. Ask yourself....Is it worth it?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You been given sound advice by your DH and many posters.  Just back out of the chat room for a while.  I am sure you have heard the phrases "don't feed the troll" and "don't cut off your nose to spite your face"

I understand that this individual's harassment towards you is making you to want to react.  Stepping away is not our normal reaction and is hard to accept but may times is the best course of action.

If his/her threatening behavior escalates outside this chatroom you should then consider further, perhaps, legal actions.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox

Unfortunately, you have learned the hard way what people really need to keep in mind ..... NOTHING is private on the internet.   Once you put anything about yourself "out there", there's just no telling who might figure out how to access it, and there are crazy people everywhere.  

Facebook is not private, regardless of what so-called  "settings" you use.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Facebook is not private, regardless of what so-called  "settings" you use.

Applause.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox

Cyber stalking as well as cyber harrasment is a CRIME.  Not sure if Federal or State.  You will need to report to your local PD.  Make copies/print outs of your PROOF.

In the meantime, you need to seriously reframe from posting personal info on the WWW.  And while you're at it, get in touch by phone  & email to all the websites that you personally submitted your personal info.  Have them remove the info like yesterday!!!!  Keep a paper trail.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif