Honored Contributor

Re: Olympic Athletes Wrapping Themselves in Their Country's Flag

I would think people would know they are doing it out of pride ,for their country.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I find it disrespectful. Our flag is not a blanket. I don't care who you are. It's just not right.

It's also not a deity...

They're not burning it, stomping on it or otherwise showing any disrespect for it whatsoever... On the contrary, it would seem they're displaying the flag of the country under whose auspices they're competing...

I agree.  These athletes can't win.  They are scrutinized to death.  I grew up being told you put your hand over your heart when saying the pledge of allegience, not during the national anthem.   But let one medal winner not put her hand over her heart during the medal ceremony and she is attacked like crazy.  I think it is fine to proudly display our flag by carrying it, draping it, waving it or wrapping it around you.   All of those are respectful.   

Yes, they are.

Pick, pick, pick, pick, pick.  It almost seems as though some people just want to diminish someone's accomplishment.  They have to find SOMETHING to criticize.

Re:  the flag.  The thought has never crossed my mind that wrapping or holding the flag after a win was anything but pride.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, it all comes down to intent.  For me, one does not have to follow a set of rules to show one's patriotism or pride, including how one stands for the Pledge of Allegiance... or if one recites it at all....or if one chooses not to sing the National Anthem.  There should be no issue if one is just standing with respect.  We assign so many (sometimes nonsensical) rules to things that sometimes it becomes scary to me.

Clearly, when an athlete has won a race and wraps the flag around them, that is not done to show disrespect.  Their intent is to show national pride. One can almost think of  the athlete as being embraced (the wrapping around of the flag) by his/her country... or the athlete embracing his/her country.  Again....   intent.

Honored Contributor

I certainly see the symbolism of the Flag being a shield or body armour but I feel for myself it should be treated as more respectful.   I loved seeing my son as small child draping his baby blanket around him off and on but do not want to see the flag treated in the same way.  I realize these are two different type of situations, but the image is still the same for me.

I know they have pride but put your hand on your heart or gently touch and hold the flag with dignity and care.  Between being an American, a former elementary student and a Brownie/Girl Scout flag respect runs deep in me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I still have my flag purse and winter scarf from the 60's..packed away in my old clothes chest....DW

Honored Contributor

People complain when others aren't wearing a flag pin, then they complain when someone is so proud of the flag, they wrap themselves in it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem with the practice. They are enveloping themselves symbolically with their country. It's like an embrace and deep connection between athlete and country. 

Honored Contributor

America is the Land of the Free.

As such, you can do whatever you like to the American flag. Many people would disagree with those who burn the flag, but that is their right. We celebrate our freedoms and our diversity.

An athlete, representing the USA in an international competition, has those same rights.