Respected Contributor

We had forks. You stick the fork in the side of the bread and hold it over the burner and pray it doesn't fall off. Crusts and stale bread worked best. Fresh bread (Wonder cotton wool variety, of course) was too soft and saggy.

Then we had a bank toaster. I think my mother opened a savings account to get that. It was cheap and forgettable, but it worked. No forks were allowed near it, so when it occasionally trapped the toast, my mother had to be called to unplug the thing and use the fork herself.

In my early apartments with gas stoves, I had a stand-up number much like the OP's electric model. It stood over the burner and had asbestos sheets behind the grills to diffuse the heat. We also had asbestos sheets in rings with handles to lay on top of the burner to diffuse the heat for big pots. Those were the days.

I now have a sleek electric chrome two-slot number with exotic settings for things like bagels. It won't allow you to pull the lever all the way down if it's not plugged in and if there's nothing in one of the slots. You can also "pop" things up after they're done by pulling the lever up, to avoid the temptation of using a fork.

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@SaRina Forgive me for being so naive, but how do you use the double coffee maker?

@CareBears, forgive me for being so ignorant... but I don't know!  It hasn't been used since I was a very young child. I just have it sitting in my kitchen as "art", lol. I'm going to investigate for sure. :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 Our childhood home has been for sale twice now since the invention of the internet (LOL) so I too have been able to peek inside and saw all the changes made over the years, honestly I would not recognize the home had they not posted the address, which though it does not surprise me made me somewhat sad, there was nothing left physically that reminded me that I had lived there and made wonderful memories.

BTW, I love my Mark Charles egg cooker!

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina Thank you for your response, hold on to that, it is so unique, and I love that you display it as art in your kitchen!

I saw similiar toaster's at Target a few weeks back, now if they would only make appliances like they used to back in the 50's & 60's as far as quality goes we would be all set!

Super Contributor

Marp .. Gee I wonder why !!!  

Once I singed my eyebrows and first row of hair lighting a gas oven ...

Once !!!

Honored Contributor

My little brother bought this toaster for my mother on Mother's Day when he was just a little boy back in the sixties. She used it for many years and believe it or not it is still on my counter today and I still use it!

G.E. Toastmaster Toaster

images.jpg

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

@SaRina Forgive me for being so naive, but how do you use the double coffee maker?

@CareBears, forgive me for being so ignorant... but I don't know!  It hasn't been used since I was a very young child. I just have it sitting in my kitchen as "art", lol. I'm going to investigate for sure. :-)

@CareBears, this is really interesting and funny -- here are a couple of back-to-back videos of how to use the double coffee pot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llcof12IyLs

Basically, you fill the bottom pot with water. You place coffee in the top pot. Turn the switch on (at base of lower pot). The water is electrically heated and bubbles up through the grating between the pots, dissolving the coffee. It's all sucked back down into the lower pot and coffee is ready to pour from lower pot.

Well, that's the most scientific explanation I can give, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina After watching the video and giggling, now I know the machine is old, but if I had to wait that long to get a cup of coffee every monring, I think I would just eat the grounds by the spoonfuls and forget the brewing process, LOL!

FYI, I so just wanted to start cleaning his kitchen, I see my OCD shining through!

Thank you for taking the time to find the video and posting it, I appreciate your time!

Respected Contributor

Lol @CareBears. Well, he's a young guy so whaddya expect? You're very welcome. :-)

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee. I have this toastmaster toaster, the first and only one. I has a cloth covered cord. I had a new plug put on once and they used a period plug. Still works like a charm. They don't make stuff like this anymore.