QVC Customer Care

Re: Old School versus New School Parenting

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

You need to watch the video and hear the conversation.

This was one of several comments.....

James Harrison, I applaud you for loving your kids enough to show them that you don't get everything handed to you on a silver platter in life. It is a lesson that every good parent should teach their children! Life is not always fair, but with hard work and a good attitude you can do almost anything! I hope you read this, and disregard all of those people that think their kids do deserve something for nothing !!!!!!!

And his young boys did go on to win Trophies...
   that they earned and are proud of it !

Many parents who physically abuse their children say exactly the same thing: "I'm doing this because I love you."

The highlighted Red wording was not said by  Steelers James Harrison. That was a comment someone posted after viewing the video.

That's quite a stretch you made there, Noel. There's nothing in the copied post to indicate your response was warranted-

Respected Contributor

He and the children's mother (who is a Pittsburgh attorney) are obviously both active in the children's lives. How they choose to raise their kids is their business.

It was not a league sport, it was a cross country / track club.

Trusted Contributor

If I was going to question his parenting, it would be over the fact that he is allowing his sons to play football at all, given all we now know about the dangers of that sport.

Honored Contributor

I do not agree with large trophies for participation. 

I've seen the monstrosities our Grands have been given basically for paying a ridiculously high registration fee.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

March 2, 2016

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison defends his parenting style on Steve Harvey Show.

Harrison made headlines during training camp last summer when he posted pictures of his children’s participation trophies with a caption that read:

“I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies! While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy.

I'm sorry I'm not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I'm not about to raise two boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best.........

cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better...not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy. 

Steelers' Harrison to appear on 'Steve Harvey' show ...

What are your views on this ?

He is spot on. Period. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I understand the point but I would have handled it differently. I would have explained what trophies are really for, ie., superior performance. However, I would preface that with the importance of participating, to try one's best, that even if you don't win and get a trophy, it can happen next time and it's trying your best that counts. Just making kids return those trophies teaches no real lessons and probably just disappointed the kids. I think a truly valuable teachable moment was missed.

I'm sure he will be doing the 'teachable' along with the action.

Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

They were proud of their trophies which they received for accomplishing whatever it is they did.  They proudly showed them to their dad, who told the wold the trophies were useless and they didn't deserve them....

@He sounds like an @ss-hole of a dad and his kids will never forget this, I'm sure.  They will likely grow up to be competitive alpha-males like their father unfortunately.  That's probably what he thinks "men" should be anyway...that's my opinion.  

Im editing to say that I don't see anything wrong with participation trophies.  The kids DO work hard to accomplish what they do.  I received participation trophies and medals as a child too, as did most everyone.  Why is everyone coming down so hard on them in this decade?

Don't know the various ages of all on here, but I'm in my mid 50's and participation trophies were not in existence in our part of the world back in the day.

I once participated in a speech contest. There were only four of us, presenting speeches to a men's organization during a formal lunch (I was in junior high). I came in fourth, and there was no 'participation trophy, certificate, ribbon etc. I was so disappointed that I didn't place, and near tears, but it was a very valuable experience, which led me to work harder, be a proficient public speaker etc. 

At that moment, not winning doesn't feel good, but it definitely has it's place in preparing us for life.

My brother was in sports all his growing up years, and there were never any kind of participation trophies either.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Trinity11 The "raising boys to be men" rubs me the wrong way too.  Coming from a linebacker, I do not want to know what he thinks being a "man' means.

I totally agree. I shudder to think what his definition of a "Man" is.

I don't know this guy, or his reputation, but this is why we don't have many 'men' left. 

There are differences in raising young men and women. Of course there is very much that applies to both, but each have unique qualities that need to be addressed. Contrary to today's standards, the seckses aren't the same or even nonexistent. Much of society isn't raising boys to be men, and women to be ladies any longer, and some things in our society are showing it glaringly.

Honored Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

I second that!!!!   My girls are close to 30 now and to be honest, I don't see much of the so called "new parenting" where I live.  We sent them to Parochial schools so the concept of being rewarded for just trying didn't exist.  Those who excelled got the awards and the high grades; those who did't excel, tried harder.  Perhaps that is part;ly why my girls did well in college and are doing well in their careers.  I have come across employees who who are all "huggy feely" and constantly need to be told how great they are and need their heads patted on  regular basis.  I remember several years ago, I hired a really nice young man.  He was doing a good job; very personable and harding working.  One day, I got a call from his mother.  This young man in his early 20's.  His mother called to ask that I give him some one-on-one attention because he responded best when he received positive reinforcement and she wanted me to "keep in touch" with her so that "together" we could make sure he was happy and fulfilled in the job....lol  I think I was so surprised and amused and then shocked that I babbled something about not being able to do that and hung up.  I didn't tell him about his mother's call because she's probably been doing (*&^** like that to him his whole life.  She probably ruined few opportunities for him.

Wow. And I know she isn't the only mom out there that won't let (make) her little boy grow up.