Honored Contributor

Oh no - my new lightweight mesh handbag organizer is stuck in the mailbox.

[ Edited ]

We get our mail at a gang box up the street from our house. The individual boxes are very small so if you get anything that doesn't fit they have a larger locked box at the bottom and they put the key in your mailbox so you can open the locked package box.Well, sea air and all those locks in those boxes and the keys have gotten very rusted. Last spring some of the men went around with WD 40 and lubed them all but I think it was too late. Anyway - wednesday the key fob was in my mailbox but not the key - I looked everywhere for the key - all in the grass etc but couldn't find it, so I couldn't get my package. I left a note in my mailbox for the postman. He took the key fob. So today I watched for him to come and went up to talk to him. He said without the key he can't get my package out either. He doesn't have a master key for that lock, just the main boxes. It will be the responsibility of the HOA (ugh) to get a locksmith and get the lock drilled out.So I went to  the manager of the HOA and he said he would have to take some bids from some locksmiths on replacing all the rusty locks and it would be a while. I said what about my package. He asked if it was anything important and I foolishly told him the truth - it is just a purse organizer. He said he isn't paying anyone to come and drill this out immediately for that as it would cost around $75 - if it was important that would be different, but not for a purse organizer. I wonder how long this may take?I know this isn't important but now that I can't have it I want it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Oh no - my new lightweight mesh handbag organizer is stuck in the mailbox.

Life is tough.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I hate telling people to lie...but with the attitude of your maintence man...I would have said  'medication".....

Doesn't sound like he is going to get it done anytime soon.....

Honored Contributor

It sure sounds to me it should be done ASAP.  What if someone gets a package?  The HOA needs to have a plan for that.  

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We get our mail at a gang box up the street from our house. The individual boxes are very small so if you get anything that doesn't fit they have a larger locked box at the bottom and they put the key in your mailbox so you can open the locked package box.Well, sea air and all those locks in those boxes and the keys have gotten very rusted. Last spring some of the men went around with WD 40 and lubed them all but I think it was too late. Anyway - wednesday the key fob was in my mailbox but not the key - I looked everywhere for the key - all in the grass etc but couldn't find it, so I couldn't get my package. I left a note in my mailbox for the postman. He took the key fob. So today I watched for him to come and went up to talk to him. He said without the key he can't get my package out either. He doesn't have a master key for that lock, just the main boxes. It will be the responsibility of the HOA (ugh) to get a locksmith and get the lock drilled out.So I went to  the manager of the HOA and he said he would have to take some bids from some locksmiths on replacing all the rusty locks and it would be a while. I said what about my package. He asked if it was anything important and I foolishly told him the truth - it is just a purse organizer. He said he isn't paying anyone to come and drill this out immediately for that as it would cost around $75 - if it was important that would be different, but not for a purse organizer. I wonder how long this may take?I know this isn't important but now that I can't have it I want it.

LOL, @151949, isn't that the truth? Perhaps you could reorder the piece and send the captured item back when you are able to get into the bin. Oh, don't forget to grease the heck out of the rusty lock.

dee

Respected Contributor

This makes no sense.  What if you get another large package?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

If  he can't get the package out, is he able to put anymore in the package box? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@151949 wrote:

If  he can't get the package out, is he able to put anymore in the package box? 

There are 2 package boxes - he can use the other one.Sometimes they deliver to your front door if they can't fit it in the box.

Honored Contributor

Ask the postal worker to take the package out using the key that opens the whole box at once and deliver it to your door.....why can't he do that?

Honored Contributor

It only opens the mailbox areas not the 2 bottom boxes.