Honored Contributor

Re: October Is Italian Heritage Month

My daughter has an Italian godfather Woman Very Happy

He and I have been best friends for a very long time. He always gave a big Italian Christmas fish dinner.  Course after course.  I love him like a brother.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2

What a coincidence in time.  I just bought two new pieces of Polish stoneware today, which I collect Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2

What a coincidence in time.  I just bought two new pieces of Polish stoneware today, which I collect Woman Very Happy

Polish stoneware is beautiful. I haven't succumbed YET. Some day....

I still think we're related somewhere down the line @Noel7!

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

My favorite aspects of my Italian culture are my family!!!!!!  Actually my dad was Sicilian and my mom Slovak.  Growing up and visiting  the two sets of grandparents was an adventure in eating on both sides and to this day I love kielbasi as well as meatballs!!  

I had the opportunity to visit Italy and loved it, Venice being my favorite city.  I related because of my father and his siblings, aunts and uncles, who were proud of their ancestry and as a result I appreciated my back round even more.  

As far as my Slovak side, they were a different culture in many ways and I loved and appreciated them as much.  I would love to visit Slovakia and discover my roots on that side.  

The only regret is that I didn't learn the languages growing up because my father and mother only spoke their language to their parents, they wanted us to speak English and be educated.  That is how they thought at the time.  I did take Italian in school though.  

Thanks for taking me down memory lane!!!!

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I'll pass.

So, I'm curious about your nic; was it chosen for Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio?  Is "I'll pass" making some kind of statement?  You chose an Italian nic, but sound like you are trying not to say something.

Just curious.

Honored Contributor

My maternal grandparents were from Northern Italy and my father's parents were from Poland so I can celebrate both.  I just loved the crates of Torrone, chestnuts and other goodies that my grandmother's family would always send.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2

Polish stoneware is beautiful. I haven't succumbed YET. Some day....

I still think we're related somewhere down the line @Noel7!

Woman LOL

@Ms tyrion2

I’m sure I understand why 😁

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

My favorite aspect is me.  Smiley Very Happy 

My Sicilian DNA may get me into trouble at times but not many people mess or get over on me and I'll take that comfort, especially in today's world, any day of the week. 

And there is no one, no one on the face of the earth, that can out argue an Italian.  No way!  Our passion good and bad is legendary for a reason.

In the words of Sophia Petrillo, the Italian grandmother we all had:

"We know how to make love and sing opera.  We also throw priests out windows." 

Smiley Wink  Smiley Very Happy

I believe you.

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up most of my close girlfriends were Italian...i have to say....loved them and their families...such warm lovely people.....Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I'll pass.

So, I'm curious about your nic; was it chosen for Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio?  Is "I'll pass" making some kind of statement?  You chose an Italian nic, but sound like you are trying not to say something.

Just curious.

Yes it was. I'm from NJ the State that people seem to think is 100% Italian. It isn't nor am I. While I do have Italian relatives and I don't begrudge them their celebrations. I feel  all ethnic groups deserve equal time. We all add to the  fabric of this land. Some are just louder then others.