Respected Contributor

Re: OPINION: The Real Reason College Tuition Costs So Much

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Yes the college Mascot to my Alma mata that I keep getting hit up for donations to. Ridiculous.  They need a moral booster because they have no room for the incoming kids to live on campus. They continue to put them up at hotels. I was there a few years back my School is hardly recognizable.

I have said it before on this topic. College is and will continue to be big business that has to account to nobody. 

My DD graduated from a private NJ college in 2010. Her tution/room and board for 4 years and oh they threw in a lap top was $230,000.00 

That is just ridiculous.

Seems outlandish when you think about it, but that's what my son's cost was, too.  And he went straight on to grad school for two more years after that!

I wouldn't have gone to college had the tuition been anywhere near that total.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry but this "well rounded education, critical thinking " stuff is krap and it doesn't pay the bills.These are the kids sitting at home on their parents couch. Above all college or any post high school education NEEDS to be to prepare a person to make a living first and foremost.

Respected Contributor

Our daughter and her husband graduated from the US Naval Academy. Some say it is a free education, but  you must commit to military service upon graduation.  With each class, a monetary amount is assigned for an equivalent education.  For her class it was slightly over $300,000.  Right before graduation, a starting football player was charged with the date rape of a classmate.  Eventually there was a trial and he was convicted.  He was sentenced to a term in jail, lost his commission and had to pay the monetary amount of his education as well as return his diploma.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Clearly, you haven't had to have a electrician, a plumber or a carpenter or a HVAC guy come to your home lately to repair anything!! They all make way way way more than nurses do - with their college degrees. I know my cousin owns a HVAC  and appliance repair business - just one guy and a truck - and he charges $50/hr plus parts.If he is there 15 min you pay for an hour.When he runs out for parts you pay for his time. And he is so busy he is exhausted all the time, the phone rings constantly. He has a very good middle class life - and never went to college.

So since he does not have a "college" degree he should not be allowed to earn $$$? I and my sister were the first in our family to go to college. My family all are blue collar business owners and successful. But that takes a lot of back breaking work and also dealing with a public who at times scoff at what they charge. College to me just shows you can start and finish something it does not give you anymore of the right to earn more just because you attended. Unless you are like I was a single parent working my way through as well.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Our daughter and her husband graduated from the US Naval Academy. Some say it is a free education, but  you must commit to military service upon graduation.  With each class, a monetary amount is assigned for an equivalent education.  For her class it was slightly over $300,000.  Right before graduation, a starting football player was charged with the date rape of a classmate.  Eventually there was a trial and he was convicted.  He was sentenced to a term in jail, lost his commission and had to pay the monetary amount of his education as well as return his diploma.

@muttmom ITA - there is nothing "free" about it.

So great your daughter and SIL were accepted and went there! 

Trusted Contributor

One real reason--increasing government involvement.  Everything they touch goes up and up and up.  

Take me them out of the equation cross the board and watch the prices plummet.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Valued Contributor

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I'm sorry but this "well rounded education, critical thinking " stuff is krap and it doesn't pay the bills.These are the kids sitting at home on their parents couch. Above all college or any post high school education NEEDS to be to prepare a person to make a living first and foremost.

no, it isn't ******. critical thinking should be required for any job that is above min. wage.
If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@151949 wrote:

no, it isn't ******. critical thinking should be required for any job that is above min. wage.

I agree with Biancardi. Critical thinking is very important, especially since most people now change careers regularly - VERY few people end up working in the original line of work they started with . You can always learn a skill - but a college education is a basic foundation on how to deal with other people, creative ideas - and the world.

University isn't a place to learn how to make a mold or weld.

I know many liberal arts majors who have become successful businesspeople - farming, designing, a chef, retailers, etc.

Valued Contributor

As soon as student loans  became available and plentiful, the prices for higher education shot up.  The more loans, the higher the schools charged.

The same thing happened when financial institutions started to accept mortgage applications that accepted 2 incomes for qualifying.  Home prices

went sky high very rapidly. The issue was that they weren't counting women's incomes for a mortgage.  My opinion was, and always has been, that if they would have accepted the woman's income, but only 1 income, whoever had the larger, homes would never have shot up so quickly and drastically.

My dh was one of the top dogs in higher education for over 30 years.  He knows where the money goes