Honored Contributor

Re: OAKLAND FIRE REPORT FROM THE SCENE

It must have been filthy, there weren't any sanitary conditions in the place

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It must have been filthy, there weren't any sanitary conditions in the place

I would think so @cherry

I haven't heard any mention of running water or toilet facilities. 

Because of the soaring rent rates in the Bay Area, artist colonies are springing up in Oakland's warehouses.  There are more than just that one. 

The Oakland Mayor is pretty good at reacting to problems there, she seems to already be dealing with this, asking for an independent investigation and a review of why complaints hand't been handled immediately.

If I hear anything new on the local evening news I;ll let you know.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is very sad, prayers for all.

Please see these pictures of

how it looked inside before the

fire and you

can see an idea of why it was a fire hazard.

::

::

http://abc7.com/news/photos-a-look-inside-the-oakland-ghost-ship-warehouse/1639418/

"PHOTOS: A look inside the Oakland Ghost Ship collective warehouse"

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the photos @newziesuzie Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Youre welcome @Noel7.

They said on tv one of the sheriff 

deputies son was among those

who passed away in the fire.

😢

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read a few articles and what stands out to me are:

*the actual owner is nothing but a slum lord. This is just one of many properties she owns and is crying "oh my, I knew NOTHING about ANY of this. Oh, my, what sadness". Yeah, whatever. I don't believe for a second she is upset EXCEPT for the fact she may find herself in prison; that is, if she hasn't fled the country as of yet.

*the manager/he who ran the complex is/was a POS. Not to mention he was raising his CHILDREN in that place. How they were able to get custody of their children is beyond me.

*which brings me to this: with ALL the complaints (and there are hundreds) about this facility, why was nothing done. Many are saying (off the record, of course) that bribes are a big problem with the city and the slum lords. It is also being wondered if this is how the children were able to go back to their parents considering the place was such a trash pit.

*Last, why any RESPONSIBLE band would play in a KNOWN death-trap is something you have to wonder about. How did they get out but so many others didn't? WHere they not on the top floor as well?

There was a place like that this in my community; a huge warehouse that was turned into an artists' studio. I spent a lot of time there because of my interest in equine art; a good friend of my parents was an amazing painter and often used my horses as models. The place was a maze...literally plus sculptures, paintings plus supplies (all flammable), lots of wood and NO sprinklers because no one had them back in the 80's. Arson burned it to the ground one night- no one was harmed as no one lived there but there were many parties. The difference was it was neat as a pin. Why arson? The new neighbor next door ( as family restaurant) didn't like "hippies".

So much WTF regarding this; the ultimate price was paid. RIP and hugs to their loved ones. I do hope justice is served to those responsible for this nightmare. 

Honored Contributor

A local report is now saying there could be up to 100 people who were inside.  Making it more difficult to search is the fact that several SUVs were parked inside the warehouse on the first floor.  

Friends and families are being asked to preserve DNA they may have, like a hairbrush. Some identification will be by DNA or dental charts.

Trusted Contributor

Rent $$ is unreal here in the Bay Area.  Unreal.  It all comes down to greed and building owners.  Makes me SICK.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

All good questions.  The problems are at a city and county level.  I know there had been a building inspector there, I have no idea why he didn't close the place down.  Just a guess but I know Oakland is scrambling to provide housing to people who can't afford the skyrocketing cost of rent there.  My guess is that's why people were living there, they couldn't afford anywhere else.  

A criminal investigation team is being assembled right now.  They wiil be looking at the possibility of arson.  Also second degree murder is said to be a possibility and talk of wrongful death suits.

Honored Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

Rent $$ is unreal here in the Bay Area.  Unreal.  It all comes down to greed and building owners.  Makes me SICK.

You are so right @ritasNo1Fan !