Respected Contributor

O/T PLEASE GET YOUR SHINGLES SHOT! PLEASE READ!

I never realized how serious this disease can be. I was very ill for a month - no symptoms of any specific disease, but so exhausted I couldn't be up, and so ill I could barely eat. After almost a month I broke out in shingles, going from mid back, under the arm and all around the boob area. The front is worse than the back!! (No, the doctor did not check for shingles when I first went in feeling ill.)

The pain from this disease is beyond belief - stinging, burning, itching, scabbing, draining fluid from the lesions, scabbinb over again, and my pain continues after a full month of the rash. I am told by several people who have had it that the pain can go on for months, as the nerves are affected. Not looking forward to that! There can also be scarring. I met someone recently at the medical office - an airline pilot who was out of work for one full year as his eyesight was affected by shingles. Mine is also very poor right now. My new glasses don't work any longer. It can occur on your back, your face, in your eyes; I have a neice who gets it regularly on her thigh. In some people it reoccurs every few months to every year or so. I've lost 15 pounds, and I am still unable to stay up for more than about 15 minutes at a time. And I have to use a walkeer to get around.

So please, if you are of an age to qualify for a shingles shot, go and get it. I understand that the cost can be relatively high, but it's worth anything to avoid this awful disease. And I know my DH's shot was covered by his Medicare provider. Don't sell this disease short. If you've had chicken pox, you're a candidate for shingles. Check with your medical professional asap. If I can keep anyone from getting this, I'll feel better about having had it myself.